Leopard tortoises and children...

Clairemarie

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
Hi all! So my family has been talking about getting a tortoise for quite some time. We are looking for a medium-large sized tortoise who does not hibernate. The leopards seem like a nice breed. My question is, how are they with children? I have read articles saying tortoises are the worst pets to get for children and I have read they are great pets for children. We keep chickens, and from when the chicks are born at 1 day old we let the children handle them constantly as long as the chicks are happy, safe and enjoying it. For us this has had them grow up into really really friendly chickens and an enjoyable experience for our family. Can you handle the leopards a lot? Do they like it? Will it scare them? Are there other breeds that one would recommend? I would appreciate any and all opinions! Thanks so much :)
Claire

jeneliza

Location (City and/or State)
burton michigan
Honestly, no tortoises likes to be handled all the time, some breeds are more open to it, most do enjoy interaction, and a gentle rub, but to be carried away, this isn't , what most enjoy, now interaction with people depends on the tortoises mine enjoys, interaction, and to be touched, she's very nosey, and I have had her in a classroom for education, on them, but this was very supervised, with a discussion before she was let out, she did walk up to all the kids sitting , to check them out, but as I said this was done in a very closed, area and for about an hour, so mine is a redfoot, she likes to interact, but not be carried around, mine is a medium to large tort, but not a huge breed, and I can't speak on leopard tortoises, I actually have not had the privilege of interaction with this breed, however there quite beautiful,