Let the games begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHEMTB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montana, USA
Well, today I had bought my first Russian Tortoise. My iguana who was 22 recently passed away, and thought something a little more solid would be better. What better than a tortoise?

A little bit about myself:
I have grown up with reptiles ever since I was a little kid. I am pretty experienced with it, as I have had to be keeping reptiles in Montana. It's not an easy task, especially when October starts to role around.

I am currently an Emergency Medical Technician-Basic, and in college to become a paramedic right now. Fortunately, my schedule works well enough that I can still keep pets, but as of now, I am down to one.

My aunt was always the big reptile keeper. She currently lives in Utah and keeps two Sulcata tortoises, a basement full of lizards, as well as a spider monkey. I grew up with her around often, so I have become well seasoned in the world of reptile keeping.

I am typing this just hours after I had bought my tortoise. It is a female, who just got named Ingrid (my partner felt it was fitting because of his love of Ingrid Michaelson). From talking with others who own Russians, we decided to keep her in a cement mixing tub which I had bought from Home Depot. She has all the necessary lighting, shelter, temperatures, food & water that you could dream of. I had been preparing for her for some time.

Currently, I think she is still in a little shock just from the car ride home, so I will let her sit for a couple days. I had let her roam in the yard when we got home for a bit, and she was very active.

I hope to bring pictures eventually, and possibly keep everyone updated on my new adventure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

You may find that your cement mixing tub isn't big enough for a full grown Russian tortoise. If she can't settle down and keeps trying to climb the walls, that's your first clue.

RHEMTB

5 Year Member
Montana, USA
So far she seems to be fine with it. And as long as it gets me until May, I am completely satisfied!

Status
Not open for further replies.