Let's talk about urates...

kezilulu

Hi all,

I know not a fab heading but I have a query about the white stuff lol

Sheldon (my Russian) appears to be passing quite a bit of it recently and I remember reading somewhere that with the right diet urates should diminish somewhat am I right? Or have I imagined that bit?! lol

So I was wondering which food types lessen the production of urates? I want to be feeding him the best variety I can find as he's my favourite li'l dude!

Thank you in advance
xXx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's not really diet, but more hydration. It doesn't matter that a tortoise passes urates...this is quite normal. What matters is the consistency of the urates. You want them to be soft, not hard. If the tortoise is passing hard urates, he needs more water in his life.

kezilulu

They're not hard they're squishy lol they're in a lump though if that makes sense? I'll get a picture next time he passes them (oh the joy for you lol) and will add in an extra bath time to be on the safe side lol
xXx

mestacey

5 Year Member
Gosh, the things I learn on here! When I first got my RT a month ago I was noticing these hard white things showing up in the substrate. I figured out it was the urine dried out. So since then, I've been soaking my little guy more and watching the humidity better. ( not because of that, I didn't know it was related...just because I'm learning more about tortoise care). Now, I haven't noticed as much of the urates (another new word I've learned). So I guess I'm doing better with his humidity! Yay!

Thanks Yvonne! I feel like I learn so much from you, and Tom, and everyone else! Even if you aren't one of the "experts" I'm learning from your questions and the answers you are getting!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Dizisdalife said:
Is it normal for them to pass urates every time?

Some do. Most tortoises pass urates for a few days in a row, then go a few days without passing them. Some species of tortoise don't make urates to pass.