1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Leopard Urates

Discussion in 'Tortoise Health' started by Lyn W, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Lyn W

Lyn W Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    UK
    Lola has been passing more urates than usual the last couple of days - it's very rare I see them. They are white but jelly like which I believe means her hydration is OK. She has a long soak everyday and is eating mainly dandies plantains clover etc with some kale,greens added when I've not found many weeds. Her urine looks clear apart from the urates. Poop as usual.
    I have been doing a search to check this was normal and was a bit concerned to see a comment that Leopards don't have urates, so just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about.
    Thanks in advance for any advice or reassurance.
  2. Jodie

Jodie Well-Known Member

Spokane Valley WA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    When my leopards are inside where I keep humidity up, I don't see urates. Both of mine are passing urates regularly now that they are outside full time. It is normal. As you know, as long as not gritty.
    Lyn W likes this.
  3. Lyn W

Lyn W Well-Known Member

UK
    Thanks Jodie
    Lola isn't out full time as we haven't had many warm enough days yet but she is out as often as possible.
    When she is in everything is the same as usual, apart from her diet which is basically weeds now.
    I will carry on as normal and keep an eye on her.
    I was worried the increase in urates could be abnormal kidney activity.
    Jodie likes this.
  4. EricaYee

EricaYee New Member

Malaysia
    I am having this issue as well. Got scared off when I found out Leopard doesn’t really excrete Urates. But I saw mine started to have urates in the poo every day.
  5. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    I believe temperature is a factor in the presence of urates. Uric acid is extremely effected by temperature as far as solubility. At cooler temperature it precipitates into semi-solid urates much, much quicker. So when we keep our tortoises with their body temps never going below 80° we will rarely see urates if well hydrated, and no unusual protein intake. But when their body temps cool to just 70° you will see much more urates forming.
  6. Minority2

Minority2 Well-Known Member

Tortoise Hell
    1. What about Mediterranean tortoises such Greeks and Russians?

2. How do you feel about the cool night time temperatures that are often suggested?

3. Do you believe keeping body temperatures levels above 80F at all times would also be beneficial for these tortoises?
    Will likes this.
  7. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    I have never seen urates from my leopards.
  8. EricaYee

EricaYee New Member

Malaysia
    I m from South East Asia with hot humid weather. My temperature never goes below 80 and humidity never below 60. I soak mine Every day in warm water at least 15min.
    Still I see urate. But that was when I switched it’s diet to Pellet.
  9. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Chicago, Illinois, USA