Desert Tortoise Urates

Location (City and/or State)
90039 (CA)
Trying to figure out what's normal and what's not with desert tortoises passing urates - and when to be concerned. We have a 25 year old tort, and frequently (anywhere from a few times a week to every week) see powdery/chalky urates (here's a picture):
e86c367c-e359-4fd2-a91c-4b1d076d5e12.jpg

He still passes normal stools (with no urates). When should we be concerned?

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That would concern me. The species is famous for dying of large bladder stones.

I would:
  1. Soak him every day in shallow warm water in a tall sided opaque tub for 40-60 minutes for about two weeks. Cut back to two or three times a week after that for the duration of our hot weather into October/November.
  2. Add several 14-16" terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the ground around the outdoor enclosure. Rinse and refill each of them daily. I'd want this guy walking into a water bowl every time he turns around.
  3. Soak and spray all of his food with water, so he gets some incidental ingestion.
  4. Add more spineless opuntia to his diet. You are not far from me. If you want to drive up to SCV, I'll meet you and give you some free starter pads to plant. Message me if you want some.
Contrary to what you might read on some websites, they cannot be "too hydrated". You will not upset their "water balance", whatever that is… If they don't need water they won't drink it in the soak or from the bowls. If they eat the water on the food and don't need it, they will simply pass it. All this attention to water will help him flush the urates and prevent them from forming again. They can survive periods with little water, but it doesn't mean that its good for them.

90039 (CA)
That's very helpful!

We've been trying to get him to hydrate more, we'll be more aggressive with it now. He has two saucers in his enclosure currently and walks through them, soaks and drinks occasionally on his own. We'll start more regular soaks.

Much appreciated for the offer to get some starter pads! We'll go out and see what we can find around here first, but if we can't, will definitely take you up on it.

Any sense of at what point it would be prudent to take him to the vet to check for stones?

Thanks again!