Question about urates

Status
Not open for further replies.

3appleshigh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I know that normal 'healthy' urates should resemble cottage cheese/tooth paste and unhealthy urates are gritty, however do normal looking urates still feel gritty? The past few times Cooper has passed urates they have felt very gritty, but still look like they always have, though I haven't felt them before this week. I'v

Upped her baths to daily and twice a daily if she's up, and have been spraying her food as well.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
They are capable of being very smooth like cottage cheese or tooth paste...no grittiness at all.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Gritty is not a desirable texture...I would do as you said you are, which is to up the soaks to daily, long warm water soaks are good---I would say if you are able to, soak in warm water for at least 30 minutes--and more if your tort enjoys the soaks...if your water is cooling then you can place it under a basking lamp to aid in keeping the water warm longer.....or, you can do the soaks outdoors in the sun (but be sure that you are present to make sure no other critters make off with your tort as well as to make sure no tort roll overs in the water)....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.