Gritty urates

Location (City and/or State)
Surrey, UK
Hello all,

Recently I have noticed that my 6 year old hermann tort has had gritty urates (they have a gritty consistency, like crushed up rocks). I have read that this could be due to dehydration but I don't know how that could have happened, because to prepare her for hibernation I have been starving her and bathing her daily.
Not all of her urate had this consistency, some was liquidy and the rest that came out was gritty. I would feed her more watery foods to hydrate her more but I am currently starving her so her guy is empty for hibernation. Advice would be appreciated :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Two possibilities jump out at me:
1. What was your soaking routine prior to brumation prep? These could be long stored urates finally being passed due to the increased hydration. That would be a good thing.
2. Does this tortoise spend time outside in warm weather? Could be sand or small gravel passing too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be that the gritty urates were being held in from before you started the daily soaking routine. I doubt it's anything to worry about. (like Tom said)

Surrey, UK
Two possibilities jump out at me:
1. What was your soaking routine prior to brumation prep? These could be long stored urates finally being passed due to the increased hydration. That would be a good thing.
2. Does this tortoise spend time outside in warm weather? Could be sand or small gravel passing too.
Previously, I bathed her once weekly at least, which means your theory is probably right about the urates being passed. She also did spend lots of time roaming outside, so it could be a mix of both. Thank you, this makes me feel better!

Reactions: Tom