Lichen in enclosure

Foursteels

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436035931.292359.jpg

I'm considering building an outdoor enclosure and this tree is right in the middle. It looks like it has lichen and moss on it. Does anyone know if this would be dangerous for a Russian Tortoise.

I might try to remove it from the tree but it doesn't look easy to do unless I remove the entire tree from area.

Thanks for any info.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Should be abolutely fine. It's unlikely to cause a problem. Removing it is likely to damage the bark and hence the tree. Put a fence around the trunk if you're still concerned.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

I'd rather an outdoor enclosure, but my 'problem (so as to say) is that I live in a flat (UGH).

Foursteels

5 Year Member
South Florida
I'll create a 8'x10' outdoor enclosure and probably purchase the Penn Plax Tortoise Palace for indoors which is 48" x 30". I won't actually purchase a tortoise until everything is up and ready. I will try to grow some edible plants in the outdoor enclosure as well. Just concerned about that lichen as I'm afraid a tortoise might eat it and get sick. If I board off the tree, I'll lose a lot of space and I was hoping to incorporate the tree trunks into a hiding spot for the tort.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Save some money and use a second hand book case with the shelves knocked out for indoors. 4' x 2'6 " is rather small. A minimum of 4'x 8' is recommended for tort enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most lichen are not toxic. I really doubt your tortoise would sample it.

Welcome to the forum!