lighting for Asian box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liz16820

5 Year Member
Hello, I recently rescued a Asian box turtle from a friend who was not properly taking care of him/her. I have read a bit but still have lots to learn on careing for this lil creature.

I went to a local pet store and was sold a fluorescent uva/uvb bulb. Now I heard for another friend that's no good and can hurt thier eyes :/

Could you please help me with what sort of lights my turtle should have?

Besides the fluorescent uvb/a I bought him a blue day light heat build and a red night heat bulb.

Thank you for your help.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
The lights that cause problems are the Compact (coil) fluorescent bulbs. The tube fluorescent bulbs are ok.

I don't know about this type turtle myself, but hopefully more experienced members will chime in soon!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Is your Asian boxie semi-aquatic? Can you post a pic? Like someone mentioned, the tube florescent UVb is fine. And you should have a cuttlebone too. What are you using for heat?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
All turtles are semi-aquatic. Asian box turtles like more water then most box turtles, less water then most aquatics. I would almost do a 50/50 water land, the water more shallow, plants bog type. More people that own this species probably can help you out.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
C. flavomarginata ( Asian box ) like "warm" moist places to hide - I provide a big pile of long-fibre spag. moss for the 2012 hatchlings to hide in.. which is where they stay most of the time! THEY ARE NOT BASKERS.. so a "low" ( .05 ) flor. tube is more than adequate

So far the temps have been kept in the high 70's.. the low flor. light is directed away from their hide area/end of the 2' x 3' cement mixing tub they are housed in - it is elevated about 2" under the hide-end.. so water stands in the opposite end maybe an inch deep.

I can say that about the only time they are in or near the water is when they want to eat. They have eaten strictly pellets [ what the terrapins eat ( see in "specials" link in sig. ) since they were hatchlings in summer of '12. I have a video of them eating that was posted awhile back... if anyone would like to see it.

Strange as this may sound - I took a few pics just a few minutes ago - look for the "C. flavomarginata" thread soon.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
C. flavomarginata ( Asian box ) like "warm" moist places to hide - I provide a big pile of long-fibre spag. moss for the 2012 hatchlings to hide in.. which is where they stay most of the time! THEY ARE NOT BASKERS.. so a "low" ( .05 ) flor. tube is more than adequate

So far the temps have been kept in the high 70's.. the low flor. light is directed away from their hide area/end of the 2' x 3' cement mixing tub they are housed in - it is elevated about 2" under the hide-end.. so water stands in the opposite end maybe an inch deep.

I can say that about the only time they are in or near the water is when they want to eat. They have eaten strictly pellets [ what the terrapins eat ( see in "specials" link in sig. ) since they were hatchlings in summer of '12. I have a video of them eating that was posted awhile back... if anyone would like to see it.

Strange as this may sound - I took a few pics just a few minutes ago - look for the "C. flavomarginata" thread soon.

More than likely this is Cuora Amboinensis, rather than a Chinese Box Turtle.......Amboinensis prefer rice paddies for the most part, so 6-8" of water along with a land area is the most suitable. A Waterland Tortoise Tub with the land/water areas flipped is the easiest setup for one......

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
EricIvins said:
Redfoot NERD said:

More than likely this is Cuora Amboinensis, rather than a Chinese Box Turtle.......Amboinensis prefer rice paddies for the most part, so 6-8" of water along with a land area is the most suitable. A Waterland Tortoise Tub with the land/water areas flipped is the easiest setup for one......

These shown are definitely 'flavo's' -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZCWXeGEdQ

Flavo plastrons -

In case there's doubt.. these are "Ambo" youngsters -

Old pics as dates show.. adults -

You are absolutely right Eric.. the "Asian box" mentioned is most likely an "Ambo"!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Liz16820 said:
Hello, I recently rescued a Asian box turtle from a friend who was not properly taking care of him/her. I have read a bit but still have lots to learn on careing for this lil creature.

I went to a local pet store and was sold a fluorescent uva/uvb bulb. Now I heard for another friend that's no good and can hurt thier eyes :/

Could you please help me with what sort of lights my turtle should have?

Besides the fluorescent uvb/a I bought him a blue day light heat build and a red night heat bulb.

Thank you for your help.

Where did you go?... did you get your answer? Can you post pics so we know for sure what you have.. [ or which of the pics looks like yours ].. otherwise you are probly providing too much light and heat which would do just the opposite of what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.