Lighting/Powder Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cswizzle

5 Year Member
Hello, Im new here but i have a question that maybe you folks can answer for me. I have had my Box turtle for 12+ years with no health issues EVER, and this year i decided to pick up a UVB bulb for my lamp (it is a zoo med dome clamp lamp) because we have been having longer winters (Im from Texas) the past couple years. I couldn't remember what bulb i got 2 years ago when i took my turtle in for his/her first beak trim (by a doctor) i call him a doctor because he was a crock, he claimed he was a herp but he had to pull out a book to ask questions about my turtle. i knew more about my turtle then he did. haha.

I bought a:
Exo Terra - Repti Glo 10.0 Compact Desert Terrarium Lamp

I keep my turtle in a big "dog pool"(36 inches in diameter) inside my house. I put 2 layers of substrate (1 being sand for the bottom, and on top of that i put reptile bark) I clamped the lamp to a desk next to my turtles enclosure and the distance between my bulb and his substrate is 20" inches. I plan on only keeping it on a few hours a day. Here's my question, Ive heard good and bad about this particular bulb and im wondering what yall's thoughts are? Also, with such a powerful bulb, is it necessary to have a UVA bulb aswell? I have heard uvb bulbs put out just enough uva to not need a separate bulb.

Question #2:
I feed him/her every week 2 or three grub worms that have been rolled in "T-Rex's 2:1 Calcium & Phosphorus with d3 powder", is this a ok choice for calcium supplements?

Any Help and knowledge is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
CSwizzle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi cswizzle:

Welcome to the forum!! (May we know your name?)

The compact fluorescent bulbs have been known to cause blindness in reptiles. They might have fixed the problem by now, but I wouldn't use it. No, you don't need a UVA bulb for your box turtle.

Because all my pens and habitats are set up outside, I don't use the calcium that has D3. Also, if you have a good UVB light, I don't think you would need the D3.

We used to say that T-Rex Active UV/heat bulb was the best, but they've pulled it off the market and haven't come back yet with a replacement. So I don't know what to tell you about what bulb to buy.

cswizzle

5 Year Member
Hi, Im Cody. Ok, because i was told i needed both uva and uvb, uvb for d3 and uva for appetite and activity. I do have a outdoor pen but i cant take him/her out everyday without 100% supervision, as we have a overpopulation of box turtle predators out here and it being cold. My outdoor pen is fairly large with chicken wire on top. ive been standing by him before and a chicken hawk swooped down and was flying right towards me.

So basically from what you have told me, I should start using a calcium power with no d3 in it, i will have to look for some and yeah, I heard reptiles are having problems with the eyes, thats why i had been providing cover from the light on one side of the enclosure, so if its hurting his eyes he can hide away from the light. I dunno though. still seeking help on the whole bulb issue :(

thanks for replying!

Status
Not open for further replies.