Lighting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjbird60

5 Year Member
Are you supposed to use a blue day light for the day lighting? Need to now.!

Please help!!!!!!!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
As far as I know, most people, myself included, use either standard white incandescent or halogen lighting (also white light). Either depending upon how much heat you wish to produce with the light. Because standard incandescent bulbs are now being phased out of production and impossible to find here in New York State already, I use the new GE Reveal bulbs that produce a cleaner white, daylight type of light. They are blue in appearance. Are these the bulbs that you're referring too?

jjbird60

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
As far as I know, most people, myself included, use either standard white incandescent or halogen lighting (also white light). Either depending upon how much heat you wish to produce with the light. Because standard incandescent bulbs are now being phased out of production and impossible to find here in New York State already, I use the new GE Reveal bulbs that produce a cleaner white, daylight type of light. They are blue in appearance. Are these the bulbs that you're referring too?

No it is actually called a day blue light!!!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
This? Unnecessary. As long as you have a MVB for UVB, any other type of lamp will work for ambient light. I use a couple of fluorescent tubes, 5000k or so.

qcpunk

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, AZ
I believe the OP is asking about the bulbs included in the ZooMed Day/Night bulb pack. It includes one Blue incandescent and one Red incandescent.

The theory is that the Blue bulb is used for lighting and warming the enclosure during the day, while the Red is used as night to help preserve the reptiles zenith cycle (day/night).

I believe the majority here will agree that the blue lamp is simply unnecessary. Incandescent lamps do not provide any UV for processing Calcium.

As stated above, a single MVB is probably sufficient for most enclosures, everything else is simply ambient lighting (and usually for the owner as opposed to the critter.)

The Mercury Vapor Bulbs produce UVA/UVB, heat, and light......they are pretty much a One-stop-shop.

Red incandescent bulbs may be helpful for maintaining temps at night, but I believe most people here are using Ceramic Heat Emitters (CHE) as they are slightly more efficient and seem to last a bit longer.

Was I on track regarding the OP's question? :)

jjbird60

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
This? Unnecessary. As long as you have a MVB for UVB, any other type of lamp will work for ambient light. I use a couple of fluorescent tubes, 5000k or so.

Yes that is it

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Blue lighting is very beneficial for plants, if you're trying to grow any in the enclosure. I'll agree with everyone else on the white light being all that the tortoise is going to care about.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
For the best development, tortoise eyes should get balanced light that simulates sunlight, so we want a good white balance. Plain white incandescent bulbs are OK, but not many fluorescent are balanced by themselves- cool whites are mostly blue, and warm whites are mostly red. MVBs are strongly into blues and reds, but weak on the other colors.

Not a really big issue if they get sunlight, even through a window (it sucks out the UV, but lets the balanced colors through) but if it is completely indoors, you may want to think about it.

Just FYI- I am not in favor of colored lights at night- too bright and they can see red. I strongly recommend things like ceramic heat emitters instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.