Lighting requirements

Eeyore527

Location (City and/or State)
Orange ca
I am getting my hermanns tortoise a new 6ft x2ft enclosure. Currently I use an all in one uva/uvb bulb and a Che heat bulb for night time.. Wondering if I should consider a tube uvb now or just add extra light fixture since currently in a 3.5 ft by 2ft enclosure. Just want to make sure he/she will still get proper lighting in a larger home. In the summer I do have an outdoor pen just waiting till weather warms up before going outside.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Hello! There’s a care sheet regarding temperate species but just to answer your questions, a tube type fluorescent uvb lamps are recommended. For basking light, use an incandescent flood bulb from a hardware store!

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
What are you using for the UVA/UVB bulb?

Tom's four elements of heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a Testudo species.
  3. Light. LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height.

Here's the sheet:

Last edited:

Eeyore527

Orange ca
What are you using for the UVA/UVB bulb?

Tom's four elements of heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a Testudo species.
  3. Light. LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height.

Here's the sheet:

I am currently using a Exo-Terra mercury vapor bulb. My new closure will have a lid so trying to figure out how to attach the lighting and want to get the tube lighting. For a 6ft enclosure how long should the bulb be supply enough uvb.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Mercury vapor bulbs aren't good for tortoises since they cause excessive dryness of the shell and contribute to pyramiding. Regular incandescent is the way to go.

Something in the 3' range would be sufficient for your tortoise. It doesn't need to blanket the entire enclosure. They need to be able to get in and out of the UVB as they desire. If you plan to get it outside for 2-3 hours a week you can forgo the UVB bulb all together.

For the rest of the ambient lighting, LEDs are recommended.

As for the attachment/mounting, it's tough to say without seeing photos or knowing anything about the enclosure. I use metal hooks to hang stuff like basking lamps from the ceiling of the enclosure.

Eeyore527

Orange ca
Mercury vapor bulbs aren't good for tortoises since they cause excessive dryness of the shell and contribute to pyramiding. Regular incandescent is the way to go.

Something in the 3' range would be sufficient for your tortoise. It doesn't need to blanket the entire enclosure. They need to be able to get in and out of the UVB as they desire. If you plan to get it outside for 2-3 hours a week you can forgo the UVB bulb all together.

For the rest of the ambient lighting, LEDs are recommended.

As for the attachment/mounting, it's tough to say without seeing photos or knowing anything about the enclosure. I use metal hooks to hang stuff like basking lamps from the ceiling of the enclosure.
It's currently being built for me now, just trying to get recommendations for the best solutions. Thank you as I did not think about hanging from the ceiling option. I do get him outside at times but our winter here is between 50-65F during the day and cloudy at times so I like have the uvb inside just to be sure he is getting enough. In the summer he has an outdoor enclosure.