Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Are the tube bulbs bad for the eyes or is it just the coil bulbs I am building a table 3'x6' I was planning on using two 24" exo terra Repti Glo 10.0 uvb bulbs on half the table because they will be under plexiglass to keep in the humidity the anther half of the table will be lit with mvbs powersun or megaray if there out yet I only have 13" to the under side of the plexiglass thats why I thought about using the tubes any other thoughts ?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
If you have the MVB bulb, you don't need UV bulbs on the rest of the table. Just get a regular 4' shop light. That and the bulbs for it will cost you like $20 if you go to Walmart.

Only the coil bulbs are dangerous, but the tube fluorescent UV lights are just a complete waste of money in my opinion. Just stick with the MVB.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
so just to be clear those bulbs are all right to use ( for light only )the only reason I ask is I all ready have some of those bulbs an why not use what I have if it will not hurt my torts those lights are only to light that end of the table?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yes, the UVB fluorescent tubes should be safe, but not relied upon for UVB. If you already have them, go ahead and use them for light in addition to a MVB until they burn out.

Then, get a good MVB (like a Mega Ray or T-Rex Active UV Heat) for UVB, house light bulbs if you need additional light (for large enclosures), and ceramic heat emitters or black light bulbs if you need additional heat.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Here is a pic of the table I already have a CHE & a 100watt powersun for the right side the left has a 80 watt heat panel & a CHE( there are no torts in there yet) thet are still in the small table>
006.jpg
[/img]
009.jpg
[/img]

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The tube lights won't hurt, if you already have them then just use them. No point in wasting money ;)

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thank's I am still fine tuning it I hope to have them in next weekend but I said that last week

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I've been fine tuning 1 of my set ups for 6yrs. hahaha..Slowly but surely

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
I LOVE your tortoise table. I also use the tube light just for extra lighting. I have a MVB at one end, and a tube a the other end to brighten things up. I had it from before, and I sure wasn't going to waste it.

Status
Not open for further replies.