Line in the shell

StephenTNi

Can anyone define the odd line across my sulcata's shell? I am posting from my phone so I cannot seem to get the photo uploaded.
She has a line going right to left, a well defined symmetrical line goings across her shell. She does not appear to have have any evidence of trauma.
Her name is FeFe

StephenTNi

I don't know why it won't upload from here. There it is. You can see the line going across that looks different from the others, different angle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 35

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sometimes a split scute is only a partially split scute. This is an indicator that your baby was most likely incubated at the higher end of the acceptable range, and it is likely to turn out to be female. There are occasional exceptions to this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think this is a split scute (which is NOT the end of the world, or harmful to the tortoise), but rather a stuck scute. I think this would benefit from you massaging that line with a Q-Tip dipped in olive oil once a day, then wipe off the excess.

Can we see an picture of the whole tortoise? This would give us a better idea if it is split or stuck.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I don't think this is a split scute , but rather a stuck scute.

* Yvonne, would please elaborate your thoughts on what a "stuck scute" is and what causes them? I find that theory interesting, especially the treatment with olive oil. Thank you. :)

* I tried to crop and enhance the entire scute, this might help!

-1.jpg