Linford (feeding tips please)

Shellybob3

Location (City and/or State)
Dewsbury
Hi, my tortoise is 9 month old and is a really good eater as long its green and leafy. Are there any greens safe to eat daily? And any ideas to get him eating in colour? Hes definitely male and Marginated breed. Thanks everyone In advance

Attachments

• 20210414_130759.jpg
    20210414_130759.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210507_203443.jpg
    20210507_203443.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 16

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unless he flashed you he is too young to determine sex 100%. They have to be much older and bigger even if breeder said he was temp sexed incubated.
I don't know this species diet. But yes there is a way to get better variety which is needed. Intro new foods by chopping it up very small along with the normal foods and spritz with water to help it stick together. As he eats this well, slowly add more good stuff and less of the regular food. It may take time so be patient but it needs to be done.

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
Unless he flashed you he is too young to determine sex 100%. They have to be much older and bigger even if breeder said he was temp sexed incubated.
I don't know this species diet. But yes there is a way to get better variety which is needed. Intro new foods by chopping it up very small along with the normal foods and spritz with water to help it stick together. As he eats this well, slowly add more good stuff and less of the regular food. It may take time so be patient but it needs to be done.
Thanks so much

MarginatedMooney

Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina USA
My little Phil is a 4 month old Marginated. His favorite weeds include dandelion leaves, hawksbeard, and clover from my back yard. From the grocery store, endive, radicchio, and kale are his favorites.

I'm still experimenting with different greens. It seems like sometimes he'll go straight after something new but other times he'll pick it out and won't eat it, depending on what it is. If he won't eat it right away, I've been doing what Wellington said and chopping it up with familiar foods. There seems to be some variance in the amount of time it takes for him to eat the new chopped up food as well.

Shellybob3

Dewsbury
My little Phil is a 4 month old Marginated. His favorite weeds include dandelion leaves, hawksbeard, and clover from my back yard. From the grocery store, endive, radicchio, and kale are his favorites.

I'm still experimenting with different greens. It seems like sometimes he'll go straight after something new but other times he'll pick it out and won't eat it, depending on what it is. If he won't eat it right away, I've been doing what Wellington said and chopping it up with familiar foods. There seems to be some variance in the amount of time it takes for him to eat the new chopped up food as well.
Thankyou loving all your advice