Little bit paranoid

HerbsParents

hello all, i am a bit of a worrying kind of guy and honestly do not think there is an issue with Herbert. But I have been noticing recently that his mouth is a little pale no white or yellow i can see, still pink. He has a massive appetite and has now started trying to eat fingers (which doesn't make checking his mouth easy). But was wondering do Tortoises always go off food when have stomatitis/mouth rot? And what colour are other Ibera mouths? My major worry with my tortoise is he will be ill without me noticing

Sent on the move

MzNENA

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
What I can say is I've had my Ibera hatchling a little over a month now.
Are you speaking of the inside mouth/tongue region?
Or the beak?

But the inside of my Ibera's mouth has always been pink. Nice little pink tongue & everything.

Only issues I've had in that region is his beak color. Turned green for a few days, due to his mixed greens.
And was completely black for over a week which grew anxious about but later realized was due to the fact that he had eaten his own poopies :dodgy:

Lol I'd say unless your tort is showing nasal bubbles, serious lack of appetite, or in mouth rot cases fuzzy white spots in his mouth, or any new abnormal growth within there that causes him to stop eating, it should be fine :D Just keep up sanitary maintenence in your enclosure, regular soaks & check the insides of the mouth for irregular patches when possible.

I, like you though, have grown paranoid over everything my little tort does. And of course ask tons of questions on this forum, but it has been a great place to learn. Everyone is extremely helpful & kind.
Hope I've helped in some way :)

HerbsParents

MzNENA said:
What I can say is I've had my Ibera hatchling a little over a month now.
Are you speaking of the inside mouth/tongue region?
Or the beak?

But the inside of my Ibera's mouth has always been pink. Nice little pink tongue & everything.

Only issues I've had in that region is his beak color. Turned green for a few days, due to his mixed greens.
And was completely black for over a week which grew anxious about but later realized was due to the fact that he had eaten his own poopies :dodgy:

Lol I'd say unless your tort is showing nasal bubbles, serious lack of appetite, or in mouth rot cases fuzzy white spots in his mouth, or any new abnormal growth within there that causes him to stop eating, it should be fine :D Just keep up sanitary maintenence in your enclosure, regular soaks & check the insides of the mouth for irregular patches when possible.

I, like you though, have grown paranoid over everything my little tort does. And of course ask tons of questions on this forum, but it has been a great place to learn. Everyone is extremely helpful & kind.
Hope I've helped in some way :)

Thank you for the Reply, I do not believe there is anything with Herbert (touch wood) Have checked his mouth every other day over the past week, can not see any patch of white it just seems a little paler then what I first thought but still nice and pink.

He seems really healthy, He spends his days on the hunt, constantly on the move looking for food. When I feed him he devours what he is given, no drool or bubbles out of the nose or mouth. The nose is clear and he is a right sniffer hound.

All in all I think I love this little chap/chapess too much :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mouth rot is ugly. You would definitely know something was wrong if it were mouth rot.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
post pictures is the best way to ask... this way we can give you better answers in the future... But mouth rot can get really nasty! i mean youll know!