Little shelled giraffes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Katie--I don't think that's it, because he didn't even try... He just gave the bundle a funny look and went off to bask.I love my torts, but I really don't think they're smart enough to put that much thought (whether or not his beak will get around it) into it, lol!

I got home late last night. Have to make a trip to the grocery store, but I'll be doing the bundle thing again today, this time giving the male his own bundle. We'll see if he'll try it out this time, with no competition, or if he'll just insist on it being put back on the ground... :)

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
That would be interesting to try with Bowser :)

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Floof said:
P3010242.jpg

I think this pic is my favorite!:tort::tort:

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
drgnfly--Oh yes, I bet it would be VERY interesting to try this with a sulcata, lol!!

Laramie--That one makes me laugh, too. She's just so determined, isn't she?

I did finally give it another try, with 2 bundles this time, and the third time was the charm! After a few minutes, the male figured out I wasn't going to throw a pile on the ground for him, and started chowing down on the hanging Mustard greens. (I didn't see any signs of his beak causing problems, either! ;)) I'll get around to uploading the pictures soon!

ChessieW

5 Year Member
Floof said:
drgnfly--Oh yes, I bet it would be VERY interesting to try this with a sulcata, lol!!

Laramie--That one makes me laugh, too. She's just so determined, isn't she?

I did finally give it another try, with 2 bundles this time, and the third time was the charm! After a few minutes, the male figured out I wasn't going to throw a pile on the ground for him, and started chowing down on the hanging Mustard greens. (I didn't see any signs of his beak causing problems, either! ;)) I'll get around to uploading the pictures soon!

Even if the beak doesn't look as though it isn't causing any problems, it is still probably worth it being shorter.

Floof said:
Chessie-- LOL! That's adorable! And so worth the wait--thank you for making sure it uploaded! Gotta love photoshop. :)

Laura-- Thanks for the input! His beak is a touch long, and I have plans to take him in for a trim once I have enough saved up for that and a few fecals, but in the meantime I make it a point to keep a close eye on his beak's condition and his ability to eat. (Plus, it'd be nice if he would wear it down on his own, lol! The female I got with him did a fine job of that, just by chowing down on their cuttlebone.) In the meantime, I keep a close eye on his beak's condition and his ability to eat. So far, he doesn't seem to have any problems eating. The only thing that gives him any trouble is the occasional chunk of squash, if the end is too fat to get his mouth around, but he has no problems with his greens.

Oh sorry!! Didn't see that!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Chessie--Lol, that's ok! I understand and appreciate the concern, I really do. I'm too chicken to trim the beak myself, or it would already be done, so instead I'm saving my pennies in order to have a good vet do it. Just have to save up a bit more, because I'll be getting a few fecal exams done at the same time. :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Melanie--Thanks! And yes, definitely try it! It's loads of fun, and the tortoises might like the change-up, too. :)

Finally got around to uploading those pictures! (^^^Chronic procrastinator^^^) So, here we go...

At first, the male still wasn't all that thrilled about the new arrangement. He stuck himself in a corner and pouted!
P3270181.jpg

But, after some coaxing, he finally decided to give the hanging bundles a try... I think it DID help, a lot, that he didn't have to fight 2 voracious women to get to it!! (Though he was very gentlemanly about sharing when the lighter female decided she was sick of sharing with the big gal!)
P3270192.jpg

Here's a view of both bundles in action...
P3270197.jpg

As usual, the big gal makes the funniest faces while she eats!!
P3270186-1.jpg

That's all for now! :) Didn't get many pics this time around. Can't wait to finish their permanent enclosure--then I'll have room to hang a little bundle for each tortoise! (Though I'm sure they'll still play musical greens and constantly trade places, even with each having their own bundle!)

Status
Not open for further replies.