Livingstone's 4th update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, Va
mary t said:
How much does livingston weight? And when you say 12 inches,, how do u measure him....?

Where r u located that he is indoors?

Haven't weighed him a while, so I dont know... Ill find out, we need a bathroom scale anyways.

Im located in Northern Virginia, and yes he is inside just about year round. This summer, Ill put him outside in a pen. Its only recently that his size has made me less fearful of putting him outside unsupervised.

The next house we live in, he will get his own room. At this point the 5ft by 10ft enclosure is just not cutting it. I am becoming a master at indoor tortoise enclosures. This guy is forcing me to get better and more creative almost daily, and the electric bill shows.

*** I would seriously not recommend raising one indoors unless you really like carpentry, he is very well behave but is becoming more aware of his own size and strength (pushed a dining room chair while on the floor as I re-arranged the ramps over his house.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Wow.. I couldn't imagine having on indoors. The mell alone would drive me nuts when they poop. Maybe since mine lends 90% outside and I live in florida I just more aware of the barn like Melos.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Always a joy to see them get bigger! It's quite exciting.

Arizonasulcata.webs.com

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
He is stunning!! What a gorgeous Sulcata!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
hahaha gotta love the smelly poops inside, hey if you get a chance would you mind snapping a shot of your 5x10 tort table? pretty interested n how you have it set up for your guy. You always seem to have some really good ideas on setting stuff up. ooohhh and just wondering, what kinda temps are you running throughout the new 5x10 enclosure?? thank you! have a good one!!

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Here are the most up to date pics of the enclosure, I am going to be adding a 3rd MVB on a stand. Two is just no cutting it.
Temps under the lamps measured at the ground are 94 deg farenheit, between the lamps it varies between 78 and 64. The 64 is not acceptable which is why there's a third MVB coming.

enclosure-setup1.jpg

enclosure-setup2.jpg

Criticism is welcome.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
What are you achieving by getting a third MVB? wouldnt a normal bulb work fine if your only trying to raise the temp a few more degrees...

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
dmarcus said:
What are you achieving by getting a third MVB? wouldnt a normal bulb work fine if your only trying to raise the temp a few more degrees...

Ja, that is a very good question, one that I am still wrestling with. Here is my logic, if I add a 3rd bulb, just to raise the temperature there is no way to know if he'll use that as the basking lamp. If he spends the day basking under a lamp that doesn't produce any UVB/UVA the concern is metabolism, and absorbtion. So to put it plainly, the 3rd bulb being an MVB is just to beat the law of averages. So regardless of where he walks he will be getting UVA/UVB which is as close to being outside as possible. Which I think we can all agree is the best for the animal. The area of his enclosure is large enough that there is still a gradient for temps.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Just seems like a lot of money when you already have 2, but its all about peace of mind so I understand why your getting the third one...

Status
Not open for further replies.