Local

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneStarTurtle

5 Year Member
So last winter was a brutal (relative) one here in Texas where we had many days with freezing weather. I have a nice group of Greeks that I have had for 3 or 4 years now.

I have always kind of accepted that they are middle eastern or origin and since we have no way or really knowing for sure since these were in a group that contained some true golden Greeks I accepted the fact I would not winter them outside.

Well when the temperatures dropped I brought them in and kept them in my spare bedroom all winter. Well somewhere at the end of February I just happened to be walking by an elevated (full of sandy soil to keep them dry.... it is Houston) pen where I house them in the summer. As I walked by something caught my eye. I was in shock to not only see a tortoise I thought had been lost, but she had survived a cold wet winter. She had a little damage (looked like frost bite) to her shell and lost weight but she was otherwise was and still is alive.

Higher elevations do exist throughout the Middle East and as with many tortoise species the natural environment can vary greatly depending on the exact location the animal originated. Tomorrow I will post you guys a pic so you might help me identify the local you think she is from. Like I said she came with(imported....I picked her up at a show) some of the brightest yellow goldens around. She is pretty dark, but that varies as well.

When I found her because she had already been through the worst I just left her out the rest of the late winter early spring. I also plan to leave her out this winter. I would like to leave her roommates out as well but I do not want to chance my luck, and I love this species with some of the most personable tortoises I have ever had.

I appreciate any and all input,

Christopher

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hibernate them inside. You get all the benefits of hibernation with none of the risks. You know, like frost bite...

Status
Not open for further replies.