Long Beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyMMA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rhode Island
I recently adopted a 4 year old russian. She awesome and super active. She eats like a pig and is super tame. My question is that when I got her she had not had a cuddlebone in the cage in a while since the owner said she never really used it. I think it may need to be trimmed or is there a way to encourage her to use it and file it down some? Maybe certain foods that will do it? She seems in amazing health and her shell is one of the nicest i have seen on a russian. Most people i read about with this problem say they are having trouble eating but she seems to be doing fine.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
When I rescued my 8 yearold Russian Ophelia, her beak looked like it should have been on a bird! So, since I rescued her, she automatically got a vet visit to have the beak trimmed, and she was checked for parasites. She did have worms so she was also treated for that. I would at least take yours to a vet for the beak trim if it to large, and checked for parasites. It wasn't real cheap, but well worth it to make sure she got back to good health. Now my girl can eat really easy where she was having a very hard time and it took her forever to eat. Good luck to you both! :)

MonkeyMMA

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
Thanks for the reply. I made a vet appointment for tomorrow where they will trim the beak and nails give her a check up and then send stool for check.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I put some rocks in my russian's cage and she quickly got her beak back into shape. My vet didn't want to sedate my torty cuz her beak wasn't stopping her from eating and he figured she's wear it down.

MonkeyMMA

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
Yeah I have some rocks in there and it looks like its gone down since yesterday. I'm bringing her to the vet tomorrow for a check up and I told them about the beak and we will see what they do. They told me to get a stool test done so were going to do that too. she's super active and eating really well so I cant imagine shes sick at all. She's really a delight and very tame and sweet

MonkeyMMA

5 Year Member
Rhode Island
I made a vet appointment for tomorrow to have a check up and have them take a look. If she feels I should wait then i would rather since shes eating fine. I just heard stories of it breaking off and I dont want her to be hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.