Long Overdue Update

doletorts

10 Year Member!
Ok, so I'll start by saying that this will probably be a little long because A. I haven't posted in almost a year, and B. It includes a little bit of personal stuff (which still pertains to the update). So, without further ado, the update.
So as some of you may know, I have a Redfoot named George. I've had him for almost two years now and he's living alot better. My last post showed the tank I got for my birthday last year (which coincidentally is coming up on the 30th) and I said I would update on how it turned out, but I never did. So that's the main point of this post, but I also wanted to share a little bit of stuff with you guys first.
I'll start with the personal stuff, so that way, the stuff about the tank will be at the end with the pictures, so you can see what I'm talking about.
This summer was going to be my "build an outdoor enclosure for George/upgrade his indoor enclosure" time, but, unfortunately, I had to put those plans on hold because, on June 9th, we found out I have a cancerous brain tumor. It's a germinoma, which, as my doctors say "if you're gonna have a brain tumor, this is the kind you want" because it has a very high prognosis. They said that this type of tumor comes with the sex cells, so I was in essence born with it. However, it takes a while to grow so they usually find it in 11-20 yr olds, I'm 15, almost 16 so I'm in that range. I've already had 2 rounds of chemo and the plan is 2 more followed by radiation. But, they had to do an emergency MRI before the 2nd round and they found that the tumor had already shrunk from a 2x2 size to a 1.8x1.2 size, so George isn't losing me if I have any say in it lol. Now I didn't tell you all this just to get sympathy, i said it because it's the reason George's upgrades have been put on hold. So that's it for the sad personal stuff, now here's the fun tank update.
So I got a 2'x4' tank for George and it is going great so far. I know it's a little small but it's working for now. He now has 2 hides, 2 water dishes (one is kinda small but it's mostly there for humidity), and 2 basking rocks. He has a ramp, made of wood covered with moss and some substrate, to allow him to climb on top of the logs. He likes to hang out up there because it's cooler than the ground. He also likes to sit on the basking rock in the middle underneath the heat lamp. I've found that the flat rock under the food dishes helps to keep substrate out of the food. He has some fake plants and moss to make it a little more "real". We also have a mister in there that has significantly rose the humidity. So that's about all that I've done with this tank. Thanks for reading! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437837190.064816.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437837205.135686.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437837218.353763.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437837228.720213.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437837243.871425.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437837258.772181.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437837299.026477.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437837308.810203.jpg

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
I'm sorry to hear about your medical struggles and I wish you the very best for a swift and full recovery! George looks great and your enclosure is beautiful:)