Long overdue.... Tortuga's tortoise table!

Whayla

We've had this finished for a long while now, but I have yet to post photo's.

When Tortuga first was introduced to her new environment there were pansies planted along the potted plant, but she quickly destroyed those with pleasure, so they are no longer available. The top is a coco coir/cypress mulch with a log hide for shade, massive basking rock area under her MVB (UVB) and a self soaking water dish.
The bottom (harder to photograph, as it is more enclosed) is just cypress mulch. It has her cave hide with moss inside to keep her comfortable, a dry rock area, a small water dish next to her food dish for hydration after eating, and humidifier. A ramp connects the two stories. There also used to be three potted hostas for shade, but they didn't seem to enjoy being in the bottom enclosed environment and started to look very sad.... So I moved them. I'm still searching for something cool (plant or otherwise) that I can add to the bottom level for added shade.
If you have suggestions or any advice, I'm open for constructive criticism and tweaking anything I need to.
It was a long process, but totally worth it. At the start, Toot would spend her days in the bottom layer, until I put her at the bottom of the ramp. Then, she would find her way to the top story to bask and raom around. Each night before her lights would go off, I would place her at the top of the ramp, hoping to teach her that it was time to find her bed on the bottom floor. She was very cautious of the ramp, and I initially thought we had constructed it a bit too steep for her. She would turn around and stay at the top if I did not place her halfway down the ramp. I did this every day for about two weeks. My boyfriend told me to let her stay at the top if she chose to do so, so I did for about another week. My motivation in finally getting photo's posted is the fact that last night, when I went to check on her (at the top) when the lights went out, I couldn't find her anywhere. I quickly and carefully stuck my hand into her cave hide in the bottom layer to see if a miracle had happened, and there she was!!!!!!!!! I couldn't have been more ecstatic and started jumping around my place!! Finally, Tortuga not only goes up the ramp without me putting her at the bottom, for the first time she went down the ramp all by herself!! Guess she's finally got the hang of her ginormous enclosure, bottom and top!
SAM_2042.JPG SAM_2053.JPG SAM_2055.JPG
Tortuga's Palace! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
She's a beautiful RF, and very smooth. I'm glad she likes her new space. Have you been able to determine the humidity level in the habitat? How about placing some fake plants around to give it a more closed in feel?

Whayla

Thank you! I think she's quite the cutie too. :)
I thought about fake plants, but I'm afraid of her possibly eating them? Has this been a problem for anyone? Also, if anyone knows plants that are hardy and can be placed in a highly bright/sunny area, please let me know.
As for the humidity, it stays relatively humid in the bottom layer (since I not only mist her hot/humid side, we also have the humidifier on a timer that goes off and on throughout the day). The top I also moisten by the MVB to raise the humidity, but it doesn't stay as humid because it is an open area. That's why I would like more real foliage than fake plants in the top layer, to raise the humidity. I mist her 'till she drips multiple times a day though, so I hope that helps her out. I did have her water dish originally placed next to her basking rock under the "sun", but after my fright will shell rot, I've since moved it farther away from the light so she doesn't get too comfortable and fall asleep in the dish.
And on that subject, she is healing nicely (just a bit of scaring) and seems to have a TON more energy/attitude, which I couldn't be more happy about. :)

Whayla

SAM_2082.JPGHere is an update. There is both fake and live foliage. How does everyone feel about ferns? Are they safe for my Tortuga to eat? I like the idea of ferns for added humidity and hiding places, but I want to be sure Toot won't be at harm if she decides to take a nibble.