Building the mothership of tortoise tables...

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Been a long time since I've posted on here but it feels good to be back!

I'm building a new enclosure for Otis (nearly 8 years old, Hermann's tortoise). This is because we are relocating and cannot transport her old one easily (plus, she's due for a bigger one). Her enclosure is currently 4ft x 6ft, with a ramp attached to a 'penthouse' (as I like to call it 😂 - it's a 1ft x 1ft covered box she likes to sleep in) and a larger outdoor space and she also roams the house for exercise quite regularly (whilst being watched of course so she doesn't chew on anything she's not supposed to!)

My main question is whether I can create a taller tortoise table, with layers and ramps, so it takes up less horizontal space but no space is lost, it's just stacked on top. For example, if I had a 4ft x 4ft table, a ramp leading up to another 4ft x 4ft that's 'stacked' on legs on top of the other table. I'd probably keep the lamps on this top layer for accessibility. However my main concern is if this would create temperature issues, as with the absence of light at the bottom, it would be cooler/darker. I could keep the UVB lamp at the bottom layer and the basking at the top? But temperature issues might still remain with the basking lamp being so far away. Moreover, would the weight of the soil on the top layer be supported enough by four 'legs'? It falling down or something would not be great. My carpenter mate is building it for us though so I can always ask him about the structural integrity!

The reason I ask is because the room we have designated for Otis in the new house is slightly smaller, and would be much more overwhelmed by a bigger, non-layered tortoise table that is bigger than her current 4'x6'. It can be done if needed, I just wanted to explore possible other options. Above all I want her to have adequate roaming room so that she remains stimulated! I'd still be making her a bigger outdoor enclosure in our new place as well, but with the weather here, she only gets one or two months living there in the summer so she is mainly an indoors tort :)

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Olivia

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I don't give great advice, however, this is how I keep my tortoises...I have tortoise tables in 2 rooms of my home, several are 7'x3'. They all have hides, a basking light (65 watt incandescent), a che, and the substrate is fine grade orchid bark. They are not fancy by any means...but all day, weather permitting, they are all outside in the pond area. Daily, I carry them all outside and put them in the pond area...they swim and just chill all day. 2 of them ( 3-toed) will swim down to the bottom and graze on the bottom vegetation. I do love watching them all in the sun. On the hot days I sit on the side with my legs in the water and it used to freak out the turtles...so my point is an ok tort table in the house, BUT, they are outside everyday they can be...in a great enclosure...I do the same with my tortoises, all have a table inside, and an outside enclosure...just how I do it100_4243.JPG100_0112.JPG
Houdini LOVED to swim...I hope this helps...100_0295.JPG

otisthetortoise

5 Year Member
I don't give great advice, however, this is how I keep my tortoises...I have tortoise tables in 2 rooms of my home, several are 7'x3'. They all have hides, a basking light (65 watt incandescent), a che, and the substrate is fine grade orchid bark. They are not fancy by any means...but all day, weather permitting, they are all outside in the pond area. Daily, I carry them all outside and put them in the pond area...they swim and just chill all day. 2 of them ( 3-toed) will swim down to the bottom and graze on the bottom vegetation. I do love watching them all in the sun. On the hot days I sit on the side with my legs in the water and it used to freak out the turtles...so my point is an ok tort table in the house, BUT, they are outside everyday they can be...in a great enclosure...I do the same with my tortoises, all have a table inside, and an outside enclosure...just how I do itView attachment 358283View attachment 358288
Houdini LOVED to swim...I hope this helps...View attachment 358289
Hi, those are some beautiful enclosures and animals you’ve got there; thank you for sharing!

Unfortunately here in the UK, the weather just isn’t warm enough to keep Otis outside other than in the summer months (and it can be not always warm enough then), hence why I have to primarily use an indoor enclosure with Otis.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You would probably have to have more than one light. . . one for the bottom section. Experiment with it and try to make it work. Also, try covering it topside. This should force the warm air down to the bottom.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi, those are some beautiful enclosures and animals you’ve got there; thank you for sharing!

Unfortunately here in the UK, the weather just isn’t warm enough to keep Otis outside other than in the summer months (and it can be not always warm enough then), hence why I have to primarily use an indoor enclosure with Otis.
If you have the room to build an enclosure outside, a pop up or permanent greenhouse as part of that enclosure would give a nice warm place on those sunny but not so warm days. If needed, you could add heat to it also.