Looking after a tortoise - what else do I need to do?

sunshineuk

Location (City and/or State)
Somerset UK
Hello,

I have recently started looking after a male tortoise, he is 10yo and had not been kept properly - I’ve discovered now that I’ve done a lot of research. This site has been very helpful!

This is his set up now - substrate is top soil and coco coir and I am aiming to soak him every other day. He has a bit of outside time but it’s been quite a cold wet summer here in Somerset UK. I’m getting to grips with all the weeds in my garden to work out what he can have!

My main question is around light/heating - how often should the lamp be on (it’s on all day atm), where and when should I put heater on? I don’t have a thermometer - what sort should I get? I’m spraying substrate regularly to keep it moist. How often should he poo? It seems very irregular to me - once a week if that? How often should I change his substrate?

Finally any observations on his general health? I understand why how he has pyramiding. If we keep him possibly we could build an outside enclosure, that’s TBC at the moment

IMG_3489.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3487.jpeg
    IMG_3487.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello,

I have recently started looking after a male tortoise, he is 10yo and had not been kept properly - I’ve discovered now that I’ve done a lot of research. This site has been very helpful!

This is his set up now - substrate is top soil and coco coir and I am aiming to soak him every other day. He has a bit of outside time but it’s been quite a cold wet summer here in Somerset UK. I’m getting to grips with all the weeds in my garden to work out what he can have!

My main question is around light/heating - how often should the lamp be on (it’s on all day atm), where and when should I put heater on? I don’t have a thermometer - what sort should I get? I’m spraying substrate regularly to keep it moist. How often should he poo? It seems very irregular to me - once a week if that? How often should I change his substrate?

Finally any observations on his general health? I understand why how he has pyramiding. If we keep him possibly we could build an outside enclosure, that’s TBC at the moment

View attachment 378495
Hello and welcome!

He needs different kinds of lamp (each serves its own purpose) with different timings to more or less mimic the sunlight. It's described in details here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/

In a few words:
1. Basking lamp (heating at the basking zone) - all day long, 12-14 hours.
2. UV lamp (UVB light at the basking zone), 4-5 hours around noon for a decent UVB lamp like T5 tube with 12% UVB output.
3. Ambient LED lights (overall brightness and visible light) - all day long, maybe a bit less than basking lamp, 11-13 hours
4. Ambient heating (ceramic heat emitter) - on all the time, set on a thermostat. You need one if room temperature falls below 65F at night.

With a good appetite, hydration, correct temperatures, proper diet and decent amount of exercise he should poo every day (skipping one day is not a problem).

For temperature measurements you need 1-2 digital thermometers/hygrometers (2-10 pounds at hardware stores) and optionally (but recommended) a temperature gun (around 20 pounds).

To maintain humidity misting substrate is not very effective - pour some water in the corners to wet lower layers and make sure the substrate is firmly packed (just with your hand).

Usually, you don't need to change substrate often - it can serve you well 6 months or several years. It depends on a few factors: how often tortoise goes to bathroom and where (soaking container, outside), incidents (like intestinal worms, mold outbreaks) and presence of the "cleaning crew" (small detrivore invertebrates like springtails and isopods).

He looks more or less healthy for a tortoise with 10 years background of poor care. A few things can't be clearly seen from the photos: if his beak needs trimming (looks like yes) and if he has troubles walking (fully lift his body off the ground).