LOOKING FOR A MATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago subs
Hi everyone,
After another failed mating, I'm asking if anyone in the Chicago area, may have a male T.G. ibera. I need one to look same as Speedy, my female, Maybe the old books are true and subspecies may not breed. My current male has attempted for two seasons with no luck of eggs. Pictures are of Speedy. P3130831.JPG

Attachments

• P3130831.JPG
    P3130831.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 68

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
How big is Speedy? Do you know how long she has been in the country?

Danny

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Are you saying you have been trying to breed her with another greek subspecies, other than Ibera? Do you have pictures of the male?

speedy

5 Year Member
Chicago subs
egyptiandan said:
How big is Speedy? Do you know how long she has been in the country?
Danny

Hi Dan,
'Don't understand, "how long she has been in the country?", but anyway,,,

I raised her from a pup, of near 2 inches, My records are at home, but may be near 6-7 years old now. Got her at Watsons reptile swap in Carol Stream, IL. from a guy selling out of a box $80.00. She is now 7-1/8 inch.
The male looks different and about 6-1/8 long. He came from Petco. More photos can be seen from older posts I have submitted. You have identified them in the past. She's kept outside, in for the night. Male is kept separate, They "hooked up/mounted" in spring, but actually don't know if they coupled. I even set up an dirt/gravel mix in her terrarium, heated for constant soil tempurature. Can't find a local vet to get x-rays.

Thanks for inquiring

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Your female is most likely a T.g.ibera, but your male is definately not a T.g.ibera with coming from Petco.
You are going to have to find yourself a male T.g.ibera for the female to get fertile eggs from her.

Danny

speedy

5 Year Member
Chicago subs
CGKeith said:
Are you saying you have been trying to breed her with another greek subspecies, other than Ibera? Do you have pictures of the male?

Hi Keith,
Well, the male was identified by EG. Dan as T.G. ibera but looks of a different subspecies to me. But then I'm no pro. on the matter.
photos can be seen from older post, found under "speedy". She is dark with different carapace, he is tan like and rounder shell, head scale and eye shape also differ to me, but overall can still be an ibera per others identification.
Thanks for asking

egyptiandan said:
Your female is most likely a T.g.ibera, but your male is definately not a T.g.ibera with coming from Petco.
You are going to have to find yourself a male T.g.ibera for the female to get fertile eggs from her.

Danny

Dan, Dan,
Actually very good news, You have identified him before, maybe in haste, but what species do you think he may be, I can resend some photoes later, if you can not find my past post on it's identity.

Thanks again

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a link to the previous thread where the tortoise pictures are:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-9461-post-82632.html#pid82632

Actually this is someone else's thread, but Speedy's female is shown it it. I'll keep looking for the thread with the male

Sorry...looking through all of Speedy's past posts, I can only find where he showed pictures of the female and it was shown on another person's thread. Can't find the male at all. Only a description of the male, not a picture.

speedy

5 Year Member
Chicago subs
emysemys said:
Here's a link to the previous thread where the tortoise pictures are:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-9461-post-82632.html#pid82632

Actually this is someone else's thread, but Speedy's female is shown it it. I'll keep looking for the thread with the male

Sorry...looking through all of Speedy's past posts, I can only find where he showed pictures of the female and it was shown on another person's thread. Can't find the male at all. Only a description of the male, not a picture.

To all, thanks much,
When I get home I'll post pictures of the male, in 3-4 hours, I always have difficulty pasting more then one photo, (when I add a second attachment the first disappears) any clear details on how it's done?

speedy

5 Year Member
Chicago subs
egyptiandan said:

Danny

Here is my male:
Dan, If you need, I can send more photos. I Figured out how to attached multiple photos,,,no messing around with "photobucket" I just had to be patient after hitinh "add attachment"

Attachments

• Both01.JPG
    Both01.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Charlie15.JPG
    Charlie15.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 21
  • Charlie16.JPG
    Charlie16.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 15
  • Charlie17.JPG
    Charlie17.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 15

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Nope he isn't a T.g.ibera :p He is a Syrian T.g.antakyensis. :D Can you post a plastron picture? He is nice though.

Danny

speedy

5 Year Member
Chicago subs
egyptiandan said:
Nope he isn't a T.g.ibera :p He is a Syrian T.g.antakyensis. :D Can you post a plastron picture? He is nice though.

Danny
Hi Danny,
Here are a few more, mind you lighting is now evening sun, with different backgrounds, so color may be off. To help me understand, what is the main feature that makes him, antakyensis? Even though I prefer like subspecies, can you predict chances of a successful mating?

Attachments

• Charlie18.JPG
    Charlie18.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Charlie19.JPG
    Charlie19.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Charlie20.JPG
    Charlie20.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Charlie21.JPG
    Charlie21.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 11
  • Charlie22.JPG
    Charlie22.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 14

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Me too, oh wait you mean for a tortoise, never mind then. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Chances of mating and fertile eggs is possible between the 2 subspecies. But she's not even letting him in :p, so the chances of this pair even producing eggs seems to be slim to none.
So if you want to produce T.g.ibera, than your just going to have to look for a male T.g.ibera.

Danny

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
If Speedy were 6-7 years old and 7 1/8" SCL, then you may have to wait 2-3 more years until she's fully mature. Yes I heard few Iberas matured around 7 years but I think most would have to wait until 9 to 10 years or more.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's more to do with size than age as to when a tortoise is adult. :D At 7 1/8" a T.g.ibera female is adult size and capable of laying eggs no matter what age. :)

Danny

speedy

5 Year Member
Chicago subs
egyptiandan said:
Chances of mating and fertile eggs is possible between the 2 subspecies. But she's not even letting him in :p, so the chances of this pair even producing eggs seems to be slim to none.
So if you want to produce T.g.ibera, than your just going to have to look for a male T.g.ibera.

Danny
Hi Dan, just to add some info, he is maintaining his size at just over 6 inches. He eats well. --Was his head/nose/tapered eye shape, the prevailing I.D. features?
'get this. He escaped one fall and actually survived a chicago winter. Neighbor found him in spring. Tough little tote!

I'm open to references to find a male t.g.ibera, like Speedy. I'll be looking.

Thanks to all for the input, 'even the corny ones'.

Status
Not open for further replies.