Looking for a tortoise...

Arirang

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello, all!

I am looking to get my first tortoise. I am an experienced pet and reptile keeper, but have never had any chelonians before. I definitely cannot take a Sulcata or any other giant breeds. I have a veterinarian who sees exotics, and a tank all but ready and waiting. I am in the Cincinnati, Ohio area and (though free is better) I am willing to pay.

I'd especially like a male, as all my reptiles have Harry Potter-inspired names, and I'd like to name this guy Albus or Dumbledore. Females would also be welcome; it'd be Minerva or McGonagall. The species I am most in are the Indian Star* and the Red-Foot (cherry head or not, doesn't matter, though cherry head is cuter). I'll take anything small enough for a 40 gallon wide (or similar, if you want to ditch the habitat as well). I prefer young, but I'll take anything except Ancient Of Days (I'll get attached and then they'll die and then I'll feel like crap). The longer-lived the species, the better.

I do work at a pet shop (meaning I have access to wonderful resources and products, and have taken care of the store's tortoises plenty of times), but I try to adopt whenever possible as opposed to buying (PLUS they're expensive and all we have are Russians. Cute, and I'll take one if one comes my way, but it'd be nice to have one of those other breeds.)

*I cannot seem to find a definite answer on whether or not Indian Star tortoises are legal as pets in the USA. All I know is they are not legal in India itself. Obviously, if it's illegal, I don't want it.

daniellenc

Maryland
Your first step is something bigger than a 40 gallon and then start looking at local rescues and Craig’s list in your area. Stars are legal but I’ve never seen one for free. Red foots you see sparingly so your best bet is a breeder honestly. Just read up on here about both species and start collecting the proper stuff. Not to be rude but pet stores know very little when it comes to tort care. They use outdated info and don’t provide appropriate food or housing.

Arirang

Ohio
Your first step is something bigger than a 40 gallon and then start looking at local rescues and Craig’s list in your area. Stars are legal but I’ve never seen one for free. Red foots you see sparingly so your best bet is a breeder honestly. Just read up on here about both species and start collecting the proper stuff. Not to be rude but pet stores know very little when it comes to tort care. They use outdated info and don’t provide appropriate food or housing.
Not my pet store. Granted, the tank is too small for adults, but we sell them a lot younger, and on the rare occasions one gets too big to be sold, it is generally adopted out to an associate (like I said, rare, or I wouldn't be asking lol). It really is a good setup for them and we know what we're doing.

As for the tank size, it's not your typical 40 gallon. It's a bit shorter and broader, so the floor space is considerably larger. I currently house my ball python in it, but she doesn't need all that room, so I'll be transferring her to a more typically-sized tank and using this tank for the tortoise.

Reactions: orv

Arirang

Ohio
I have been shortlisted for a reptile rescue in my area and no longer am looking- when they get a tortoise and I take possession, I will be posting an intro. Can't wait to formally meet you all! ^_^

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I’ve been to Petsmart and have seen their tortoises, not young, probably adults. I’m always so sad for them. Very small tanks and sometimes two in it.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I have been shortlisted for a reptile rescue in my area and no longer am looking- when they get a tortoise and I take possession, I will be posting an intro. Can't wait to formally meet you all! ^_^
Can’t wait to see what rescue you get. We don’t have a lot of tortoise rescues around here.

Arirang

Ohio
I’ve been to Petsmart and have seen their tortoises, not young, probably adults. I’m always so sad for them. Very small tanks and sometimes two in it.
Maybe at some- we're not a perfect company and no one is. My store gets small individuals and they usually sell in a week or less. Fun fact: Pet stores are not all the horrible things PETA would make you believe. They're actually typically run by people who love animals.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most pet stores don't do right by their pets give out bad advice and it's not through PETA, we know this. It's newbie members that find us after getting all the wrong info from the pet stores. I have corrected many pet stores in my area about their animal care and advice.
A Star tortoise you will probably never find for free, and likely a RF too will not come around any time soon but good luck on getting either one.
The tank size you mentioned is only good for hatchlings and upto around 2 years possibly. Your tort, even a Russian needs a much bigger perminent home. Russians alone need a 4x8 foot minimum. All tortoises also need an outdoor enclosure for the months.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
In my area we do see redfoot in rescue. Never stars.
I, and most here, are aware of the size of a 40 breeder. Trust us when we tell you it is way, way too small.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pet stores are in the business to sell things and make money. They just don't have the room to give the animal the size enclosures it needs. Please clear your mind of all the tortoise-keeping information that you have accumulated up there. Read our up to date care sheets on the different species you're interested in, and read them with an open mind.

Tortoises are hard wired to wander great distances searching for food. It's stressful to keep them in a small enclosure. Actually, the best place for a tortoise is outside, only bringing them indoors during inclement weather. Tortoises are not domesticated animals. They haven't gone through years and years of human intervention to make them domesticated. They thrive outside in the sun.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Maybe at some- we're not a perfect company and no one is. My store gets small individuals and they usually sell in a week or less. Fun fact: Pet stores are not all the horrible things PETA would make you believe. They're actually typically run by people who love animals.

Working and running a pet shop where you have no say in how you can utilize the business' operation costs is completely different than owning, properly providing, and ensuring the needs of a specific pet. Not many active generic pet stores can afford to run it that way and still maintain steady profit margins. That is why there are so many specialized online breeder/retailers and various websites such as tortoise forum out there. The general public is uninformed.

Research tortoise prices online. If I remember correctly, Indian-stars are a higher priced species so chances of finding someone willing to give it away for free is highly unlikely.

Return that 40 gallon tank and get/build something closer to the minimum requirements of your chosen tortoise species. It's completely understandable for some people to not be able to meet the 8 x 4 feet guidelines for indoor enclosures. Some people provide temporary outdoor enclosures for this very reason. However, if they plans are to continually house them indoors they will need a sufficiently sized enclosure; one that will not cause them to feel trapped and stressed in.