looking for help. (diarrhea)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayrrow

5 Year Member
I know this is about lighting but I need help! We brought Mikey our Greek tort hm Sat. He now seems to have diarrhea. He has a UVB lamp a heating lamp and a night lamp. We live n north Texas and we "walk" him for 20min a day in our backyard. He is active and loves to eat from my hand. He looks at us when we talk to him. Eyes, nose and vent are clear, his shell looks great. He has rocks to bask on a log hide and water.
Please help!
Thanks
Baryn nervous new mom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 62

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CedarCreekLake, Texas
RE: [split] looking for help.

i'm sorry i can't help, i don't have a clue about greeks, i'm sure someone will come along and give you the information you need to help Mikey

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
RE: [split] looking for help.

My question would be what have you been feeding?

Ayrrow

5 Year Member
Romaine lettuce, a mix of baby greens, and Zoo Med Natural Grassland Tort food. Also he goes outside for about 20 min a day, we live in north Texas, it is very hot here rt now so I don't want him to over heat.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Personally I wouldn't be concerned about the stool yet.
It could be stress from the move or something he ate before you got him on Sat. You can take a sample in to a vet to check for parasites. This too could be a cause. Up to you on if you want to that now or wait to see how he settles in first.

His enclosure could use some work though.
His water dish is a lizards or snakes water dish. You did sink it into the substrate which is better than just sitting on top but he still might be uncomfortable enough to avoid using it. Tortises need shallow dishes with good traction. Replace it (or return it for your $$ back) with a $2 terra cotta saucer. The clay dish that sits under a flower pot.

I notice his lights are over the water. He needs the lights over his substrate and ideally with a nice flat stone or piece of slate under them. This way he can lay on the stone (warm from the lights) and bask.
I do see a stone thing over the water. Is this where you said he will bask? Does he actually use it?

What UV bulb did you buy? Spiral, coil bulbs are not recommended. To many eye issues assocciated with them. In TX you won't need any UV light indoors as long as he gets some real sun exposure a few hours a week.

There are better substrates out there than the bark chips. There are also worse ones. Consider trading it out for a more "dirt like"bedding.

Hope this helps!

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Ayrrow

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for your help. We are in the process of building a tort table to expand his area and we will get some slate this weekend. His area has changed a bit since that pict was taken but he loves his water dish he gets in and sprawls out for several min many times a day and he crawls on the rock under his basking light.
He has a 60wt blue Zoo Med basking light aReptisun 10.0 UBV light and red light for night.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
The reason that water dish is ill advised is the drowning hazard. There have been cases reported of tortoises flipping over while climbing into or out of the deep sided water dishes. Once flipped in that type water vessel the tort cannot turn over and cannot get his head above the water level.

Good luck.

Ayrrow

5 Year Member
Ok I will look into a new dish:)
We only put a 4th of an inch of water in the dish. Is that to much?ImageUploadedByTortForum1373582826.010932.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373582869.037316.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
runny stools can be Dietary, Parasites, or illness... if it continues... get a fecal test at the vet.. take in a Fresh sample.. you can also try canned pumpkin for extra fiber.. NOT the pie filling.. just plain.

Ayrrow

5 Year Member
He is all good now! I think he was stressed out about being moved from one place to another and the change in diet. But we r all good now and his new tort table is fin and he moved in tonight. I'll post Picts tomorrow.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.