Looking for Leopard tortoise

BupHua0108

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello, my name is Kevin, I am from Southern California. I am interested in adopting a hatchling Leopard tortoise. There are many available within my area from breeders; however, I think that it is more helpful to adopt one. If you have one that you need to rehome, please let me know. I don't expect to get them for free so I will pay for shipping plus a small adoption fee. Please not too big, my current setup is only a 36" x 18". I have a backyard, and I will move him/her outdoor once they get bigger.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely you wont find a hatchling without paying for it which would be from a breeder or one selling the mistake they made. Not really and adoption price though. Even adult leopards are hard to find for adoption.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Btw the enclosure is too small to house one until they are ready to go outside permanently. They also will need heated housing outside for those cold nights.
They will need a 2x4 to start and then into a 4x5 or 6 before they will be large enough to live outside. Then they need a large area to roam and a heated shed or night box.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Most likely you wont find a hatchling without paying for it which would be from a breeder or one selling the mistake they made. Not really and adoption price though. Even adult leopards are hard to find for adoption.
I agree with Wellington. If you want a baby you're best source is from a breeder, or at a reptile show (still not cheap). Rescue places are filled with sub-adults and adults, mostly Sulcatas.

We have some very reputable leopard tortoise breeders on this Forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I operated a turtle and tortoise rescue for many years, and during that time I took in maybe three leopards. They just don't come up for adoption that often.

BupHua0108

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks for the reply. I just want to throw option out there, I will hit up a breeder if none came up in the next 2 weeks. I think $150 for a lifetime pet is very reasonable. However, i think adoption is a win-win for both party. The seller can unload their burden and I get to save myself a week worth of coffee.

@Will, most breeders around socal offer leopard hatchling for $150. I can pay up to that amount (shipping included) depends on color.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. I just want to throw option out there, I will hit up a breeder if none came up in the next 2 weeks. I think $150 for a lifetime pet is very reasonable. However, i think adoption is a win-win for both party. The seller can unload their burden and I get to save myself a week worth of coffee.

@Will, most breeders around socal offer leopard hatchling for $150. I can pay up to that amount (shipping included) depends on color.

What burden are you talking about ? My torts are like my children , I would never adopt a tort to someone that looks at it as a burden! I spend almost that a week feeding my torts . Most of us find our torts more important then most people.

BupHua0108

5 Year Member
Southern California
If I see these torts as burden , I would never ask to adopt one. I am talking about people with recent changes who is no longer able to provide care for their torts, or people who made impulse decision. I dont mean to offend anyone, but i dont know a better word other than 'burden' to describe such situation.