Looking to adopt

SweetGreekTorts

Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
You won't find any baby Russians for "adoption" anywhere. Your best source would be buying one from a reputable breeder.

There is one in Arizona: www.arizonatortoisecompound.com

Or there are other breeders across the country who have baby Russians available and ship overnight.

Hayes1524

Surprise az
Have you considered adopting a desert tortoise? You could probably find a very young one at a rescue for free.

There are thousands of them desperately needing homes.
Yes I have, that was actually my first thought lol. My family rescued one when I was younger and loved it but at the time I was living in a house with enough property to probably own ten but now I'm not sure if I could give a desert tortoise like a sulcata or something a big enough enclosure once it got older I just dont think it would be fair to the tortoise.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yes I have, that was actually my first thought lol. My family rescued one when I was younger and loved it but at the time I was living in a house with enough property to probably own ten but now I'm not sure if I could give a desert tortoise like a sulcata or something a big enough enclosure once it got older I just dont think it would be fair to the tortoise.
I know what you're saying, but...I was referring to a Mojave Desert Tortoise, or a Sonoran Desert Tortoise, which are native to CA, AZ, and NV.

They get to around 12-14 inches long and around 15 lbs. max. As with all tortoises, they like an enclosure as big as possible, but I don't believe they need any more space than a Russian. And certainly not what a sulcata needs!

Anyway, please think about it. It so breaks my heart that so many need homes.

If you want, check out AZ Fish & Game. They oversee desert torts in AZ.
https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/nongamemanagement/tortoise/

Hayes1524

Surprise az
I know what you're saying, but...I was referring to a Mojave Desert Tortoise, or a Sonoran Desert Tortoise, which are native to CA, AZ, and NV.

They get to around 12-14 inches long and around 15 lbs. max. As with all tortoises, they like an enclosure as big as possible, but I don't believe they need any more space than a Russian. And certainly not what a sulcata needs!

Anyway, please think about it. It so breaks my heart that so many need homes.

If you want, check out AZ Fish & Game. They oversee desert torts in AZ.
https://www.azgfd.com/wildlife/nongamemanagement/tortoise/
Oh ok, I will start looking right now actually, thank you so much! I also understand what you mean, so many people aren't ready to commit to a tort or just dont do their research but I will definitely start looking for one to hopefully give a better home to. Thanks for the knowledge

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Oh ok, I will start looking right now actually, thank you so much! I also understand what you mean, so many people aren't ready to commit to a tort or just dont do their research but I will definitely start looking for one to hopefully give a better home to. Thanks for the knowledge
Another bit of info...DT's are an endangered species. They are protected by law. If someone were to try to sell you one, that is illegal. They cannot be bought or sold, deliberately bred, or taken out of their native state, ever.

And they cannot be housed in pairs, in spite of the breeding problem. In reality, they WILL fight, sometimes to death.

I hope I haven't deterred you, but felt I should add this.

Hayes1524

Surprise az
Another bit of info...DT's are an endangered species. They are protected by law. If someone were to try to sell you one, that is illegal. They cannot be bought or sold, deliberately bred, or taken out of their native state, ever.

And they cannot be housed in pairs, in spite of the breeding problem. In reality, they WILL fight, sometimes to death.

I hope I haven't deterred you, but felt I should add this.
Didn't deterre me*