loose stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
so when i got my tort i took him to the vet and they said he had a protozoan problem and gave me meds. they told me to give it to him 3 days a week for 3 weeks and so i have. his stool is a lil firmer compared to how bad it was before (almost like pea soup) but he still seems to be having bowel problems. how firm should a healthy tort's poop be. idc if you even have to show me pics xD i wont be grossed out. but i know that fecals show how an animal is doing internally. any help would be great! thanks guys :tort:

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
The same consistency of a Dogs average bowl movement; or for that matter Human.
If they are dryer that; like he's forcing it out, then he's a tad dehydrated.
But I like for my kids to just launch a little soft twig out when they are dipped for the 1st 10 minutes; then I remove the fecal matter & place the bowl to be washed as I placed them in the clean with warm water ready.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
i make sure hes hydrated. he usually drinks everyday, i give him a nice warm bath every other day for about 15- 30 min depending and its been raining a lot here so i take him outside while it rains and let him run around in it. he has gotten better but its not firm, more like semi firm. course im not touching it either. im wondering if it could be stress enduced or if he is still having a protozoan problem. i want to finish out the entire vial of medication before i discontinue using it but i dont wanna risk the overuse of it to be a problem for his health

the name that was put on the vial is Panacur which im guessing is the medication name.

since the medication he hasnt had any undigested matter and his poop is greenish in color as well which reading on the site i heard is good

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Healthy red-footed poop is greenish brown, fibrous, well-formed, and neither dry nor runny and will vary based on the recent diet- it is looser with fruits, smelly with some meats, etc.

Many meds mess with the internal flora and cause tummy problems. You can ask your vet about this as it is usually easy to correct. In the wild it would just eat the poop of a healthy tortoise.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
is there any natural ways other than eating healthy poop or medication to help correct it. besides the "well-formed" part his poop is exactly as you put it. im putting him on a feeding schedule now and pinned it above his enclosure so i dont forget what food on what day. and thank you for the information of healthy poop lol xD

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
woot turbo's poops seems to be getting better now. its more firm and formed but not too bad. looks a lot better

Status
Not open for further replies.