Lost Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Okayy , so my three toed box turtle named Ripplee, is getttin prettty used to me , and is comin to me and everything , so like i thought hey , maybe i could just let him out and play in my backyard, cause its fenced in and he has got out of his cage before and stayed in my back yard for 2 weeks before i found him , anywayss so he has been out of his cage all day , and ive been checking him about every hour well , i just checked him and cant find him ANYWHERE, ! im sure he is somewhere in my yard but my yard is HUGE, and has lots of bushes and stuff, and where he was last was under this really big bush well when i checked he wasnt under there atleast i dont think so , but i hope i find him ,- if yall could give me any tips on how i could find him thatd me greatt, ):

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First thing tomorrow morning, set a couple sprinklers around the yard. He'll come out for sure.

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Arkansas
Thankks, :D ha but my dad foound himm, he was just hidin and since its cooled down he cam out , so like do you think its a good idea to let him go around my back yard without a cage, my yard is fenced in and its all good, he cant get out , would it be okay i just need to add a litttle pond thing cause when i found him he was trying to get to the pond , in the next yard but couldnt get under the fence.

M

Maggie Cummings

It is not safe for your box turtle to have the run of your yard...

doubledfight

5 Year Member
Arkansas
why not its a yard , i mean they live in the wild , im sure they will be safe in a yard, i havee many bushes and trees and many hiding areass in my back yardd, so just calm down,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maggie was not in need of a calming influence. She was merely telling you that if you allow your box turtle free roaming status in your yard, your either going to lose him under the fence, or you'll never see him because of all the hiding places in an open yard. As you said, he was trying to get through the fence to the pond next door. That means, as soon as he realizes he can't get through the fence, he's going to start to dig under it. How long before he gets behind a bush where you can't see him, and starts digging a tunnel under? That's why we have safe habitats set up for our turtle friends. If you want to go all along your fence line around the whole yard and make it turtle-proof, then that would be fine. And he could be allowed to have the whole yard.

We can only offer the benefit of our experience. The end decision is yours to make. After all, he's your turtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.