Lots of questions about my RT

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Awesome! :D I'm definitely going to do that. I might even get THREE tubs xD I would love to give Tom the biggest space possible. The only thing is, I have to get enough substrate to fill it all. Oh, and more thermometers, hygrometers, hides, etc.
Tubs can run very cheap, so this'll be simple!
You can get bulk coco coir at most garden and hardware stores. And I mean BULK. I buy 3 expandable bricks, and I have leftovers after filling mr russians whole space wit 4''! That's cheap too, it get it for 9$ :D
Hides can be anything, I use a plastic planter pot I cut in half outdoors... and wicker basket... anything! :p
You may also find great deals in thermometers at hardware stores, they don't ten to be expensive :)

flimsybox

North Carolina, USA
Tubs can run very cheap, so this'll be simple!
You can get bulk coco coir at most garden and hardware stores. And I mean BULK. I buy 3 expandable bricks, and I have leftovers after filling mr russians whole space wit 4''! That's cheap too, it get it for 9$ :D
Hides can be anything, I use a plastic planter pot I cut in half outdoors... and wicker basket... anything! :p
You may also find great deals in thermometers at hardware stores, they don't ten to be expensive :)
I have bought all my stuff. I didn't get bricks simply because when I left school yesterday and came home, the first thing my mom wanted to do was to go out and shop for the stuff. I haven't got everything set up yet for him, and I have a couple final exams today. I'll have to continue to set it up after the exams. When it's all finished I'll show you the end product. :) Thanks so much for helping me!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have bought all my stuff. I didn't get bricks simply because when I left school yesterday and came home, the first thing my mom wanted to do was to go out and shop for the stuff. I haven't got everything set up yet for him, and I have a couple final exams today. I'll have to continue to set it up after the exams. When it's all finished I'll show you the end product. :) Thanks so much for helping me!
:D That's fine! Thank you! It looks pretty good so far.
Your welcome! Good luck with your exams :)

flimsybox

North Carolina, USA
:D That's fine! Thank you! It looks pretty good so far.
Your welcome! Good luck with your exams :)
I have a question about the humidity. I poured water into the coconut fiber to make it moist. It started to clump up so I tried my best to unclump it (i know that's not a word lol). The hygrometer, when I took it out of the package, said 37. When I put it in the moistened tub, it said 50. I misted the air with my spray bottle and it went up to 60. I tried to keep it there, but it keeps going back down. Should I use the mist lamp to keep it around 60%? I'm not sure how I'd do that though... I have a plexi glass thing on the top to keep the humidity in... but I guess if I'm using the mist lamp and the mist is falling into the enclosure, then the humidity would be constantly coming and going. How would you go about this?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have a question about the humidity. I poured water into the coconut fiber to make it moist. It started to clump up so I tried my best to unclump it (i know that's not a word lol). The hygrometer, when I took it out of the package, said 37. When I put it in the moistened tub, it said 50. I misted the air with my spray bottle and it went up to 60. I tried to keep it there, but it keeps going back down. Should I use the mist lamp to keep it around 60%? I'm not sure how I'd do that though... I have a plexi glass thing on the top to keep the humidity in... but I guess if I'm using the mist lamp and the mist is falling into the enclosure, then the humidity would be constantly coming and going. How would you go about this?
It's okay if it clumps up, just spread it about until everything in relatively moist :D
Humidity it a tricky thing... russians aren't particularly touchy about it, so that's a great thing! I cover half then top of mine with foil (I'm working on something a little more 'sophisticated') and that end usually stays around 70%, because I mist everyday, and there is also a source of humidity from inside the enclosure- dirt and water bowls. The other end where his lights are stays around 65...ish% :p
The plexiglass is great, it'll help a lot. Is it all all possible to put the lamp in the enclosure? I would set it on something right above it, or even in the tubs, and that way, moisture is not lost making it's way into the tub.
And now, since you have more in the tub, you wouldn't need it on as much, because more is getting trapped :D

flimsybox

North Carolina, USA
It's okay if it clumps up, just spread it about until everything in relatively moist :D
Humidity it a tricky thing... russians aren't particularly touchy about it, so that's a great thing! I cover half then top of mine with foil (I'm working on something a little more 'sophisticated') and that end usually stays around 70%, because I mist everyday, and there is also a source of humidity from inside the enclosure- dirt and water bowls. The other end where his lights are stays around 65...ish% :p
The plexiglass is great, it'll help a lot. Is it all all possible to put the lamp in the enclosure? I would set it on something right above it, or even in the tubs, and that way, moisture is not lost making it's way into the tub.
And now, since you have more in the tub, you wouldn't need it on as much, because more is getting trapped :D
Okay I'm glad that they're not picky about the humidity :) The mist lamp is far too big to fit in the tub. But, I was planning on slightly tilting it toward the enclosure so all the mist flows in the same direction. I will probably have to cut the plexi glass, but my dad and I will do that this afternoon once I get home from school. (4 hour break right now :p )

flimsybox

North Carolina, USA
I have another question. Is using bark bad for tortoises because of the dust? If so, can I wet it so the dust goes away?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have another question. Is using bark bad for tortoises because of the dust? If so, can I wet it so the dust goes away?
What type of bark? Cedar, pine, walnut, beech... so on are big nonos because they're toxic.
If it's called Repti-Bark, Fir Bark, Orchid bark, so on, those are okay. Wetting always helps with dust :D