Luna tort got a new enclosure...

LunaTortsMom

Location (City and/or State)
middleburg
Hi! New member here! I rescued a baby tort that I have had for a few years now. Her name is Luna Rock, and she is Sulcata African Spurred.
Luna got a new enclosure, much bigger than her old one. Luna is 3-year-old Sulcata! She's doing fine & ate the day of being put in her new home. But, the next couple days she kind of stayed to herself. I've pulled her out of her hole just to check on her & now she's just chilling under her shelter / halfway in the light with Bok Choy & Watermelon in front of her for when she's ready. I think she's still taking time to get used to her enclosure though. Does anyone have any advice on moving their torts to new enclosure? I would imagine it take a minute for the Tort to warm up to the new enclosure, but just wanting to hear from anyone else on this?

Thank you so much in advance!

-Lunas mom!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! New member here! I rescued a baby tort that I have had for a few years now. Her name is Luna Rock, and she is Sulcata African Spurred.
Luna got a new enclosure, much bigger than her old one. Luna is 3-year-old Sulcata! She's doing fine & ate the day of being put in her new home. But, the next couple days she kind of stayed to herself. I've pulled her out of her hole just to check on her & now she's just chilling under her shelter / halfway in the light with Bok Choy & Watermelon in front of her for when she's ready. I think she's still taking time to get used to her enclosure though. Does anyone have any advice on moving their torts to new enclosure? I would imagine it take a minute for the Tort to warm up to the new enclosure, but just wanting to hear from anyone else on this?

-Lunas mom!
Can we get pics of the new enclosure?
What size is the tortoise? Age doesn't tell us the size because they all grow at wildly different rates and for a wide variety of reasons.
What are the enclosure dimensions?
What substrate?
What are your four temperatures?
What are you using for heating and lighting?
Where is Middleburg?

LunaTortsMom

middleburg
Can we get pics of the new enclosure?
What size is the tortoise? Age doesn't tell us the size because they all grow at wildly different rates and for a wide variety of reasons.
What are the enclosure dimensions?
What substrate?
What are your four temperatures?
What are you using for heating and lighting?
Where is Middleburg?
Lol! Hi! I will have to take measurements of everything! But, the temps are between 87-91 in her sunnin area, her wodden hide + palm fronds that I add is definitely there! She has all her lights/UVB's! Substrate is Cypress mulch & Organic Soil with tons of hays! She has everything a Sulcata Tort could need, I guess I was just more then anything wanting to hear some stories of people switching their torts into different elnclosures, and how they acted during because I am an over thinker lol & was worrying, because she just came out and ate her dinner and is going back to bed so all is good! Just maybe had to take a few days to get adjusted as she doesn't like "new" lol. And, Middleburg is right outside of Jacksonville, Florida!

Thank you for the response! And, I am definitely open to any suggestions you may have for owning this Tortoise as I am a fairly new owner / Tort parent!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
You'll get lots of good advice from other sullie owners here. You could start by reading this up to date thread which will give you all the do's and don'ts -
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
and with the care sheet here in the African torts section you should be able to avoid/correct any mistakes to help Luna thrive.
Come back with any questions - there's plenty of great keepers who can help point you in the right direction.

(We all love pictures too!)

LunaTortsMom

middleburg
Hi and welcome
You'll get lots of good advice from other sullie owners here. You could start by reading this up to date thread which will give you all the do's and don'ts -
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
and with the care sheet here in the African torts section you should be able to avoid/correct any mistakes to help Luna thrive.
Come back with any questions - there's plenty of great keepers who can help point you in the right direction.

(We all love pictures too!)
Thank you so much!
I will get some pictures up of Luna soon!!!

🐢

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lol! Hi! I will have to take measurements of everything! But, the temps are between 87-91 in her sunnin area, her wodden hide + palm fronds that I add is definitely there! She has all her lights/UVB's! Substrate is Cypress mulch & Organic Soil with tons of hays! She has everything a Sulcata Tort could need, I guess I was just more then anything wanting to hear some stories of people switching their torts into different elnclosures, and how they acted during because I am an over thinker lol & was worrying, because she just came out and ate her dinner and is going back to bed so all is good! Just maybe had to take a few days to get adjusted as she doesn't like "new" lol. And, Middleburg is right outside of Jacksonville, Florida!

Thank you for the response! And, I am definitely open to any suggestions you may have for owning this Tortoise as I am a fairly new owner / Tort parent!
Most people get all the wrong care info. For example, soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. Neither should hay. Orchard grass hay and Bermuda hay both make good foods once the tortoise is over about 12 inches, but hay should never be used for substrate.

Read through that thread from Linda and look for the sulcata care sheet at the bottom. You've likely got some room for improvement once you know what to do and why.

LunaTortsMom

middleburg
Most people get all the wrong care info. For example, soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. Neither should hay. Orchard grass hay and Bermuda hay both make good foods once the tortoise is over about 12 inches, but hay should never be used for substrate.

Read through that thread from Linda and look for the sulcata care sheet at the bottom. You've likely got some room for improvement once you know what to do and why.
Hi! Thank you for the response!
Her/His substrate is mostly cypress much mixed w a bit of Organic Soil! :) Her hay, which is the exact one you mentioned is just everywhere as she does like to hide in it & eat it! Thank you so much! I will definitely look at the care sheet! 🐢

LunaTortsMom

middleburg
Her/His substrate is mostly cypress much mixed w a bit of Organic Soil! :) Her hay, which is the exact one you mentioned is just everywhere as she does like to hide in it & eat it! Thank you so much! I will definitely look at the care sheet! 🐢
I have made sure the soil has no perlite, or anything of that sort. Just wanted to state that!
Thank you everyone again!
Luna is doing great btw! :) She's just still getting used to the new place!
🐢

LunaTortsMom

middleburg
Hi and welcome

(We all love pictures too!

-Lunas mom!
This is Luna outside yesterday! :)
She was chillin for a moment before strolling!
& the other is her with an Acorn hat on! -almost a year ago!

We are happy to be a part of the Tortoise Forum!

🐢💕

Attachments

• Luna tort.jpg
    Luna tort.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Luna Acorn Hat French.PNG
    Luna Acorn Hat French.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome. Cute face tort. Tortoise hate change so let it settle in and get used to the setup. Ensure settings are correct and make adjustments. Ask questions as required.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As I said, soil should never be used for tortoises. Its made from composted yard waste and all sorts of weird stuff. Almost all of it has additives of some sort in it too. The makers and sellers do not intend to have small animals living on it or in it.

Whatever substrate you use needs to be damp. Dampness will make hay mold. Mold can make your tortoise sick. Dry hay is a great food item for older larger sulcatas, I don't introduce it to them until they are around 12 inches or more. Prior to that, soaked horse hay pellets mixed with the greens are a good way to go, but using it for substrate is not a good way to go at any time.