Made a new indoor enclosure thanks to you guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I found a great find on craigslist for a 55 gallon fish tank for $30. I couldn't pass it up so I picked it up and hubby and I started thinking about how to convert it. It was too short width wise, so we decided that we'd turn it on it's side and remove a pannel of glass and put in a back pannel from some scrap wood.

Original.jpeg

If you've never done this before, it's quite simple. If you have a E string of a guitar, slide that down in between the glass panels and it will come apart fairly easily.

RJ removing glass.jpeg
Removingsilicon.jpeg
Glassremoved.jpeg

We then added the spare wood on to the backing of the original opening of the tank.
Gluingbacking.jpeg

We then purchased some plywood and cut holes out to place the lamps on top and epoxied them on with J&B Weld. It holds up to 500 degrees F, plus the laps are wrapped in tin foil to prevent any burning. I plan on adding a third lamp fixture on the left end for my CHE. (I didn't have a lamp and wanted to see temps/humidity with the first two before purchasing)

Lid w: pacement for lamp.jpeg
inside light fixtures.jpeg

Then we hinged the top on to the wooden replaced panel for easy access and a closed chamber.

Complete empty.jpeg

Once the tank was finished I moved it to my back screened in patio.

Outside finished.jpeg

I then added substrate, a mix of Coco Coir, organic top soil, and some good ol' florida sand. I then placed some cheap discounted plants from Lowe's (Spider Plant, Aloe, and Cosmos). They were a dollar a piece. I washed the roots out and replanted them in terracotta pots in organic soil. I placed some grass and wild bird seed mixture into the substrate to grow also. I find that Koopa prefers to walk on grass then just straight subtraite. I then placed them within the enclosure, and put in my three hides. One is on the cooler/dry side. The second has dry sphagnum moss on a more humid substrate, and the third is under the heat lamp directly and has the most moist moss and highest humidity. I also have two terracotta dishes for water and food, and both a dark rock and light rock for basking approximately 12 inches away from the lamp.

inside decorated 1.jpeg
indside decorated 2.jpeg
inside decorated 3.jpeg
inside decorated 4.jpeg
inside decorated 5.jpeg
inside decorated 6.jpeg

Koopa is still in his old enclosure until I can get accurate temp measurements and his grass starts to grow.

Please let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions, let me know. I'm pretty excited about it and thrilled that it was easy and inexpensive. I spent $80 for the entire thing, including plants, pots, glue, paint, ect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Loved this! Thanks for sharing. Lucky tort!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
WOWIE-ZOWIE!!! You guys have some TERRIFIC ideas that I may just be forced to steal!!! It looks GREAT!!

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
this is indeed an outstanding job , I wonder does this "Presidential suite enclosure" suits well with all tortoise? if it does I will try make similar one for my meter :D

rideburton87

5 Year Member
NW burbs, Illinois
That is super cool! I love the idea and next time I'm in need of building another tortoise house I am going to try that!

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks guys! It feels good to build something well for a pet that you love so much. Anyone feel free to PM me for more info if you want to recreate it. It was fun and cheaper than anything you're going to buy in stores, and I'm almost positive that it will hold up to Tom's standards :p. Without the CHE (outside in a screen room in FL mind you) my temps are Basking 109, Mid 95, Cool 83, and the hides are 92, 87, and 80; Humidity is hovering around 82-85% with me only misting the tank once since last night. Winter time I might have to add the CHE but for the rest of the year I think it will be good until around november when temps dip a little.

And I'm sure it will work for other tort species, you just have to get your specs right for basking/humidity. I'm hoping once Koopa out grows it I can refurbish it to house a baby uromastyx! Lol have to convince hubby though on that pet. ;)

haidao88

5 Year Member
Now this is some useful and helpful info plus pix... I have a 80 gal which is basically a 55 with a wider width... When peach grows to the right size for a larger enclosure, I will surely recycle my tank into this

My tortoise Peach hates apples

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I absolutely love it! You put a lot of work into this enclosure and it show's.!
Thanks for sharing the pictures and idea's!
:shy:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Nice. Never would have thought of that guitar string trick. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.