Male or Female?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I would put money on it being a female not a male.

I took a second look and I would definitely agree with you. Initially I thought the turtle was very young and not completely developed, but looking again at all the growth rings I would say that it's older than I thought.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Oh sorry about asking again I just saw your other post on my thread thank you so much! Congrats on your new turtles!

No prob. Again, if you decide you can't live without an EBT and find a rescue/someone either unknowing or uncaring of the laws in PA and acquire one, definitely go for a captive bred and make sure to get documentation PROVING captive bred status. But I would really strongly suggest only going with PA - legal box turtles. If you would get an EBT and be caught, chances are they would take your turtle away and either put him/her down or give her/him to a place like a wildlife center or zoo to be used as an educational tool for school trip kids. From stories I've heard, a good amount of places like that keep them in inadequate tanks with improper lighting, food, substrate, humidity, temps, etc. So really think about it and weigh the pros and cons of possibly being caught and the financial aspect with the fine and the quality of life the turtle may end up being forced to live with.

I wish they would just change the law. That would be great. I may get one but maybe not, I don't think anyone would notice though. How much is the fine if you happen to know? Also where did you get these guys? Is it hard to get permits for them. And one last thing if you're ever looking to rehome one I would probably be interested!
No prob. Again, if you decide you can't live without an EBT and find a rescue/someone either unknowing or uncaring of the laws in PA and acquire one, definitely go for a captive bred and make sure to get documentation PROVING captive bred status. But I would really strongly suggest only going with PA - legal box turtles. If you would get an EBT and be caught, chances are they would take your turtle away and either put him/her down or give her/him to a place like a wildlife center or zoo to be used as an educational tool for school trip kids. From stories I've heard, a good amount of places like that keep them in inadequate tanks with improper lighting, food, substrate, humidity, temps, etc. So really think about it and weigh the pros and cons of possibly being caught and the financial aspect with the fine and the quality of life the turtle may end up being forced to live with.

And u said to get the proof of captive breeding. Would that do anything if I was hassled or would it not matter?

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I can't remember off the top of my head how much the fines are, but I believe it can be anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. I could be wrong.
It's really hard to get permits for them. As I said, I do rescue work and am becoming licensed for it, so I don't need to get a permit for them. I believe the only people that are able to get a permit for an EBT are people that had them before the law came into effect in 2007 and have proof that they had them before that.
No, these guys aren't going anywhere. I have some cats available for adoption, but the turtles aren't going to be put up for adoption. Most of what I do is domestic animals like dogs, cats, and rats. The wildlife I've done are birds, snakes, a couple snappers, and a bunch of squirrels. They all are released after they're healed/grown, whichever is the reason I had them.
I doubt having proof of captive bred status would do anything for you in the legal sense or make them allow you to keep an EBT, but there's a small chance it would help. I'm just suggesting proof of captive bred status if you're dead set on getting an EBT. As said before, I would very much greatly suggest going with PA legal box turtles and just sticking to those species. But if you can't live without an EBT and have to get one, get documented proof that it is a captive bred one. It will most likely not help you if you're caught, but there's like a 5% chance it could help you.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
The laws for species under concern like the Eastern Box Turtles in your area are in place for good reasons. The numbers are dwindling and the issue with permits is to make sure ones that are captives are not re-released back in the wild with any diseases such as ranavirus etc. Which could be major issues to the wild population. Permits in Ohio are $25 annually for an out of state CB Eastern Box Turtle with proof of sale and documentation on the Turtle. $40 for a commercial permit if one was looking to sell. Our state doesn't limit on how many Easterns you can have but you have to have a permit for each one and any over 4 inches will need to be tagged. Again, this is to make sure captives do not find themselves back into the wild. I have permits for my Easterns however the process is a stinker and the ODNR agent will make unexpected visits to your home to make sure your not doing illegal activity or have unexpectedly got rid of the turtle. To be honest thats why I've decided to start a group of 3 toeds and may eventually rehome my Easterns so I don't have to deal with the state. Yeah 3 toeds may not be as colorful but they are just as personable if not more. I've thoroughly enjoyed the ones given to me by a member on here. To be honest thats what I would do is get a non native Box Turtle so you don't have to worry about permits or fines or authorities. I rescued an Eastern on Craigslist, reported it to the state, applied for a permit, and found out the guy who I purchased it did not purchase the turtle from a Captive Breeder like he stated. He was a known poacher and the proof of purchase was invalid. 8 months the state let us keep the turtle then ruled to deny the permit. I then had to drive an hour and a half away to a rehab center where this turtle will spend its life. Its a great facility but now knowing this was probably a wild taken out of the population just still stings. My kids were devastated and it left a bad taste in my mouth about the state and laws. However, I don't always like to drive the speed limit but if the speed limit wasn't in place the human population would take a major hit also. Moral of my story get a non native Box Turtle!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
My three females all live well together. The male is an old gulf coast box turtle, and he lives alone. He is not allowed near them after some bad behavior in the past.