Map Turtle Tank - Start up questions - Need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jharris1385

5 Year Member
I have a male Map turtle that is roughly 4 inches.

I recently moved and how his tank was set up, well mainly supported will not work in the new house.

My questions are:

1. Is for his size is a 75 gallons enough? That is what he was previously in.
I have always read the rule of 10 gallons per inch minimum, what do you all think of this?

2. With a tank that size, cabinet, rock and so forth, you are pushing a LOT of weight.
What type of support under the floor would you need? This would be on a first level floor, of a home that is on a crawl space half basement layout underneath.
With nearing a good 1,000 pounds (right?) would I need to brace the floor underneath?

3. I would like to start from scratch with the whole set up and am open to suggestions about going a bit larger if needed. Space is limited so I may be able to go a little bit larger. But beyond that, filtration wise what did you, or would you recommend? Canister? If so what brand?

Thank you.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Since we can't see your home (and I'm extremely cautious); I would just pay a structural engineer $100 to look under the crawl space. Honestly that weight load isn't insane for a well built house, but you might need to add a footing and some point load underneath, like a post.

Jharris1385

5 Year Member
One of the proposed places it would be moved to would be near the cross beam underneath.

Any advice on filtrations?

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
I honestly can't remember the filter I use; I got it from my friend that breeds fish (it's made for huge tanks). I'll look when I get home though

Jharris1385

5 Year Member
What type or kind of filtration would you use?

So far I will have:

Cascade 1500 canister
Biowheel 400
and two marineland power heads

This sufficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.