Markings on baby tortoise shell

Winston and Jess

Hi, I'm totally new to the world of tortoises and spend my life worrying that I'm not providing adequate care for my baby African spur thighed Winston. He's about 5 months old (I think) and I'm worried about these marks on his shell???

Also, is it okay to just predominantly feed him dandelions? (With the calcium sprinkle on once a week)

I appreciate any help anyone can give me!! . ImageUploadedByTortForum1395184249.676144.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
If you're referring to those little white rings, those are just signs of growth.

That is one DARK baby sulcata. Almost doesn't look like one!

Can you post more pictures of him? His arm scutes are small, I wonder if he is actually a desert tortoise of sorts.

Winston and Jess

Yep of course! I'm not 100% certain what breed, i just did some research and he seemed to fit the African sour thighed profile! I got him from a dubious source but am making it my responsibility to make sure he's as healthy and happy as possible... This is turning out harder than anticipated! Thank you so much for replying! ImageUploadedByTortForum1395184555.612398.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1395184668.335047.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If that is really a sulcata, please read Toms threads below for proper housing, humidity and temps. He is starting to pyramid and they are suppose to grow nice and smooth.
Also, no, it's not okay to feed just dandelions. A wide varied diet is needed. Check out the tortoisetable.org.uk for more edible items to feed.

Winston and Jess

Does he not look like a sulcatra?? I've read all of toms threads and have been caring for him as a sulcatra but he's a rescue baby tortoise and I wasn't told his species?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Based on the provided pics this does not look like a sulcata. Where are you located or where did the tort come from? Better, clearer pics showing true colors from the front and plastron would help. Possibly a desert tort, or Egyptian?

Winston and Jess

The care for a desert tortoise seems to be very similar to a sulcatra? So hopefully he hasn't been unhappy! Does anyone have any recommendations to create a good humidity level as well? His substrate is half play sand half top soil but it just dries out because of his heat mat?

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm 99% sure this is a desert tortoise. I guess you will find out when he grows up and he is either 150 pounds or 10 pounds :)

Attachments

• desert_tortoise_1a.jpg
    desert_tortoise_1a.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 54

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
This is one very different Sulcata baby.

May other member can have correct identification.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
he looks good so far and those markings are a sign of growth. Feed him a more varied diet. Dandelions are okay but you need a more varied diet. Research a proper diet for him. Good luck!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I'm not sure what type of tort that is but I'm almost certain it isn't a Sulcata. It it however very pretty. I love the color.

Elohi(Earth)[TURTLE]

Winston and Jess

Thank you so much :) because he's so young and little I feel really maternal towards him ha! And so really appreciate your compliments. I think I've managed to provide the right habitat for him except humidity!! Does anyone have any tips?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Winston and Jess said:
Thank you so much :) because he's so young and little I feel really maternal towards him ha! And so really appreciate your compliments. I think I've managed to provide the right habitat for him except humidity!! Does anyone have any tips?

Keeping the humidity at at constant and high level requires a "closed chamber". Otherwise it all dissipates into the air around the enclosure. They are also good at keeping the temperature at a suitable level with minimal heating. Here is a thread that Tom did a while back. It has some good ideas about how to create a closed chamber.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html