Help! Weird markings on my tortoises shell =(

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.speed

5 Year Member
mr speed 1.jpgspeed 2.jpgspeed 3.jpgMr. speed.jpg

Hello i'm new here,
to start with i'm not 100% sure that Mr.speed is a Sulcata because he was given to me out of nowhere! I know he/she is from morocco, and a person at the pet shop told me it was a Sulcata so i've been raising him like one but i want to be 100% sure.

I'm worried because i've noticed that there are these weird white squigily lines that have appeared on his shell and i have no idea if i should worry about it! I'm not sure when they appeared but i only noticed recently when comparing pictures of him now and pictures i took in August, a month after i had him (the picture with the flower)...if someone can explain to me why the markings have appeared and if its serious so i should take him to the vet?

Thanks, Zahra

Last edited by a moderator:

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum. I do not believe that speedy is a Sulcata, and he does have to very interesting marking on him. I am sure someone will be able to say for sure what type of tortoise you have.

mr.speed

5 Year Member
I found out that the markings are nothing to worry about by checking the 'possibly related threads' but oh no i hope someone could tell me what breed he is, now i'm worried i've been raising him wrong =(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
your baby looks dry.. do you soak him ?
not sure what the white lines are..
what kind of calcium does he get?
has he been able to be outside in the sun like he is now?

mr.speed

5 Year Member
I soak him every day or every other day, i've only recently learnt that i need to put calcium in his food and i'm still not sure where i can buy it from, none of the pet shops near me sell any! He's been getting a lot of natural sunlight recently, but when hes indoors he has a UV light. I have noticed that he looks dry but im not sure why this is, any tips you can give me i'd really appreciate it.

i found these on the forum so i'm not so worried about the markings anymore
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-White-swirls-on-carapace?highlight=swirls#axzz1JYF0zV4r
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Swirls?highlight=swirls#axzz1JYF0zV4r

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It could be humidity issues. You will get a lot of help on this forum and if you search thru the older threads you will find a lot of great information.

Also if your worried about calcium, you can use cuddle bone and crush it down and sprinkle it over your tortoise's food.

mr.speed

5 Year Member
dalano73 said:
It could be humidity issues. You will get a lot of help on this forum and if you search thru the older threads you will find a lot of great information.

Thanks dalano, i'm definitely going to go through the threads to make sure i'm not going wrong anywhere, i think i need to post a new thread to see if someone can identify the breed for me first!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Thats a good way to start, I spend a lot of time going thru all the old threads and I have found some great ideas, and they have been a big help..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Zahra:

We see a lot of that kind of thing (the little white squiggly lines) on baby Greek tortoises. So I'm thinking he's a Greek of some sort. GBTortoises is real good with the Greek I.D. I'll send him a PM and ask him to look at this thread.

mr.speed

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Zahra:

We see a lot of that kind of thing (the little white squiggly lines) on baby Greek tortoises. So I'm thinking he's a Greek of some sort. GBTortoises is real good with the Greek I.D. I'll send him a PM and ask him to look at this thread.

Thank you! Really appreciate it!

ALDABRAMAN said:
Welcome, like his name!

Thank you =D ....if you've ever seen the swan princess theres a tortoise call Mr.speed in it, it's where i got the name, it was my favorite cartoon growing up so speedy is named after him

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Those white squiggly lines are normal for greeks... it usually happens when they are young and growing...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All tortoises can get and show those squiggly lines. I notice it more on mine when I take them out of their humid enclosures and put them out in the hot dry sun outside. The lines fade away when I soak them after sunning. Maybe your tortoise needs a little more humidity inside or a humid hide box. I responded in your other thread too. Check that out. Yvonne's recommendation of talking to GB is a good one too. He is a very knowledgeable Testudo tortoise keeper here in the states. I trust his word on all things tortoise implicitly.

Squirtle Time

5 Year Member
Virginia
Those marks are really beautiful, I'm glad they are not due to something harmful.

I was able to purchase calcium from Petco. Its called ReptoCal by Tretrafauna. You may be able to order some online if you don't have a Petco nearby. All you have to do, according to the label, is dust his food with it about 2-3 times a week.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Zahra-I'm positive that your tortoise is not a Sulcata, I believe it may be a North African Greek subspecies, I think Testudo gracea marokkensis.
I am not as familiar with the North African and some of the Middle Eastern Greeks as I am Northern Mediterranean Testudo but I do believe yours is found in Morocco in North Africa.

mr.speed

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Zahra-I'm positive that your tortoise is not a Sulcata, I believe it may be a North African Greek subspecies, I think Testudo gracea marokkensis.
I am not as familiar with the North African and some of the Middle Eastern Greeks as I am Northern Mediterranean Testudo but I do believe yours is found in Morocco in North Africa.

Thank you! I was told by someone who has hatchlings of the same species that they are testudo gracea marokkensis too! So I think you maybe right, thats the species he belongs to

Status
Not open for further replies.