Mating 3 toe and ornate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pameladale

5 Year Member
My 2 box turtles appear to have been mating for about 2 months now I check for eggs once every two weeks or so but I dont find any. Ive read that the eggs take a month to develop is it possible that their mating was unsuccesful? Or is my female egg bound? Please help! Thank you!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Not all crosses between sub species of box turtle are successful. Personally, I like to keep the sub species clean and all my different species are in separate pens.

Pameladale

5 Year Member
So because there 2 diferent subspecies they may never succesfuly mate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It sometimes happens that way, yes.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Three-toed and ornate box turtles are not only different subspecies, but they are actually two different species within the genus Terrapene. Three-toeds (T. carolina triunguis) are in the eastern species, while ornates (T. ornata ornata) are in the western species. Although related and similar, eastern box turtles require wetter conditions than western ones, and are not quite as carnivorous.

The two species' ranges overlap in the Midwest. Legler (1960) reported that they only hybridize in captivity, but Cureton et al. (2011) reported that they also sometimes hybridize in nature where they co-occur. Here is an individual thought to be a hybrid between the two species. It was collected in Kansas, but died in captivity (the reason was not given):

http://www.angelfire.com/ks3/turtles.of.the.world/Box_Turtle_Hybrid.html

Crosses and hybrids between two closely related subspecies or species can turnout healthy or even fertile, but it's generally not a good idea to breed them in captivity. Better to let them mate with the type of individual they'd be most likely to find in the wild. It's usually better for them and their offspring.

Box turtle (T. carolina, T. ornata, T. nelsoni, and T. coahuila) distribution map:

Eastern box turtle (T. carolina) distribution map:

Eastern box turtle (T. carolina) subspecies and intergrade distribution map (Dodd 2002):

Western box turtle (T. ornata) distribution map:

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/midorcas/research/Contribute/box turtle/boxinfo.htm

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I have a male three-toed and ornate cross that I adopted many years ago. He does mate with my female three-toed. So far all the young have had three toes but look like ornates. This is one of their offspring
IMG_2839_zpsca189511.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.