Mazuri Scare

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Well, I was in a big rush this morning to get to soccer. Went down and fed everyone and ran out the door. Didn't get home till 4:30 this afternoon, ate and went down to check everyone. Well, I am glad I did. My big russian girl, Betty, had a piece of Mazuri stuck in her mouth and couldn't get it out. She looked like she was gagging. I picked her up and tried to get it and she sunk in. Once she realized I was trying to get it for her though she relaxed a bit. Amazing that she knew I was trying to help her. I kept trying to pry it out and kept wetting it to soften it a bit and it finally came out. So the moral of my story is "Don't leave until they are done eating or remove the food until you get back home!". Hopefully she will be ok.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
oh that's scary! I'm glad you got it out before she choked!

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I always soak the Mazuri for about a minute before feeding, that way it softens up already and they have no trouble eating it, even my small hatchlings.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I soak mine also. But apparently, this was a piece that was not initially eaten and started to dry. I will never leave it in there again!

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Ahh yes, it will harden up again. I've never had them leave any (big pigs they are) but I have soaked some before and for some reason forgot to feed it to them and find it the next day all hard again.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I like to grind mine in the coffe grinder and sprinkle on the food or leave it in small dishes in with the babies. I also mash it up sometimes and mix it with the food.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Dee, I am so glad Betty is OK. What a scary thing to happen. Can you imagine having something stuck and being afraid to let anyone help you get it out? How scared she must have been and how lucky she knew you were trying to help. Good for you for keeping your head during this event. Glad it all worked out OK.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks - it was scary! But I learned a valuable lesson!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I've always worried about that. This is why I leave it in for a limited time or I grind it to a powder which they will eat as is.

Another idea is to moisten it and place it between wax paper. Roll it out to about 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. Allow it to thoroughly dry out. Break it into flakes to be feed as is. What this does is provide some abrasive material for the beak.

Make sure it dries out quickly so it does not spoil.

Ed

jlyoncc1 said:
Well, I was in a big rush this morning to get to soccer. Went down and fed everyone and ran out the door. Didn't get home till 4:30 this afternoon, ate and went down to check everyone. Well, I am glad I did. My big russian girl, Betty, had a piece of Mazuri stuck in her mouth and couldn't get it out. She looked like she was gagging. I picked her up and tried to get it and she sunk in. Once she realized I was trying to get it for her though she relaxed a bit. Amazing that she knew I was trying to help her. I kept trying to pry it out and kept wetting it to soften it a bit and it finally came out. So the moral of my story is "Don't leave until they are done eating or remove the food until you get back home!". Hopefully she will be ok.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
You can take it a step further and run it through a cookie press making whatever size and shape pellets you think the tortoise might like.

jlyoncc1 said:
Great idea Ed! Thanks!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I could make mini tort cookies! LOL Now tell me Ed, have you done this?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I've used a pinky pump and I've used the wax paper... not the cookie press.

jlyoncc1 said:
I could make mini tort cookies! LOL Now tell me Ed, have you done this?

Status
Not open for further replies.