mbd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

5 Year Member
does anyone know what would cause a leopard tort to lose motor function ,acts like it forgot how too walk,and how too treat this or reverse it. thanx john

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Is this the one on the baytril? The injections can cause localized pain and bruising at the injection site. So it could just be very sore, especially on one that has very little muscle mass to begin with. Does this fit? I would place food and water right in front of it for now.

John

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
Is this the one on the baytril? The injections can cause localized pain and bruising at the injection site. So it could just be very sore, especially on one that has very little muscle mass to begin with. Does this fit? I would place food and water right in front of it for now.
yeah this is the one i stopped the injections going orally now

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sounds like it is a reaction to the medications yagiyujubei said. If it was MBD your other little ones would have similar symptoms I would think.

John

5 Year Member
why is that neal, they came from different backrounds,and i didn't think mbd was contagous its more due a lack of calcium.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Neal Butler said:
Sounds like it is a reaction to the medications yagiyujubei said. If it was MBD your other little ones would have similar symptoms I would think.

Not necessarily. I have 10 baby desert tortoises and one of them is so soft I'm sure its going to die. He's in the same habitat as his litter mates from the same clutch and he's the only one who is soft.

However, I don't think its MBD either. I think the correct answer (if there is such a thing) was given in the first response.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
What kind of substrate? if he cant get traction, he cant work his muscles.. the picture of them on newspaper.. just wondering if that was just to feed or do they live onthat?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
squamata said:
why is that neal, they came from different backrounds,and i didn't think mbd was contagous its more due a lack of calcium.

I was assuming that all three are getting the exact same care from you. So, if one tortoise was suffering from MBD due to lack of calcium or whatever the cause, it's likely that the others would show symptoms. Because this is the sick tortoise, my initial thoughts are the only different variable which would be the medication.

Of course other factors come into play and some tortoises are just weaker than others like Yvonne's example, I'm just making general assumptions.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
squamata said:

I think Neil's comment was based on the (probably correct?) assumption that they're all housed together, or at least under similar/identical conditions. If the one developed MBD as a result of your care, it would make sense to come to the conclusion that the other tortoises, kept in similar/identical conditions, would develop it, as well.

Anyway, the injection discomfort theory makes sense. Hopefully that's all it is.. Certainly a whole lot easier than dealing with MBD! :)

John

5 Year Member
Laura said:
What kind of substrate? if he cant get traction, he cant work his muscles.. the picture of them on newspaper.. just wondering if that was just to feed or do they live onthat?

what picture on newspaper ive never used that

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Besides not moving as much, has he been eating better? I'm really glad to see your concern for him and the amount of effort your putting in to make sure he gets well.

squamata said:

Sorry to keep flooding your thread, but I had another thought to back up what I said. You have described very well your care for the tortoises and in your pictures of their habitat in previous threads. I don't see how the tortoise could be suffering from MBD with all the "right" things you're doing.

John

5 Year Member
they get plenty of calcium i do keep a dish in there,the mbd thing is because this tort always seemed too have something going on with his back legs since the day i got him,but now he looks like he has palsy it comes and goes though.

Neal Butler said:
Besides not moving as much, has he been eating better? I'm really glad to see your concern for him and the amount of effort your putting in to make sure he gets well.

squamata said:

Sorry to keep flooding your thread, but I had another thought to back up what I said. You have described very well your care for the tortoises and in your pictures of their habitat in previous threads. I don't see how the tortoise could be suffering from MBD with all the "right" things you're doing.

i keep thinkin he's not eating,but just now i found him eating mazuri he has gained 8 grams in the time he's been sick so he must be eating more than im seeing

S

stells

You know that Leopard tortoises can be allergic to Baytril?

And a different antibiotic should really be used...

John

5 Year Member
I did read the article on baytril and allergic reactions on trust site and have been keeping my eye out for the noted symptoms,I am convinced that the current situation is caused by the injections,and others here agree.I just can't get past the fact that this tort has been clumsy for lack of a better description right from day one,I believe that clumsy behaviour is unrelated too my recent issues,but may be early signs of something else,that may be able too be corrected or not.I could be wrong but in my experience with other reptiles metabolic bone disease does not show up over night it takes some time of bad care for it too develop and usually when its at the stage when its unmistakeable the damage is not completely reversible.anyway thank you all for your input.this is day fourteen of baytril,during which time i have been adding vitasol too his soaks,and soaking in pedialite every other time.today he is his normal self so far got up walked too his food and actually spent a normal amount of time eating,still a little clumsy.i am stopping the baytril today and sticking with the vitamins and liquid calcium.this tort is strong were gonna ride it out. thanx again john

S

stells

Is it clumsy on all four legs?

Just the back legs?

Does it walk with a splayed gait?

Has there been any straining?

John

5 Year Member
his back legs mainly,keep in mind this tort came from a bad place it was not well cared for it was not a wise purchase,but i could not help it,he got sick due too my error,hence the injections which led too the walking issues,that is all going away,but hte original clumsy thing is weighing on me. thanx john p.s he almost seems too spend alot of time pushing with his back legs instead of standing and walking although he can stand and walk if he wants too.maybe he's just lazy like my son. ha ha

S

stells

I am always making those kind of purchases... no need to explain yourself to me lol

When he pushes with his back legs does he bring his head in?

S

stells

What i am wondering is... if he might have a stone... the only way to be certain would be to get an xray... but in my experience with a tortoise with a stone... it can effect the function of the back legs...

With MBD... they usually wouldn't walk about normally some of the time then differently at other times... the back legs would splay out and they would walk wide... well a rehome of mine that suffered MBD does...

Status
Not open for further replies.