missing part of shell

de0908

Hi all, just looking some advice for a friend. She has said that her Russian escaped about a year ago and her dog got hold of it. The shell got broken and there is a bit of shell now missing just above her tail. Apparently it's all healed now but she is just wondering is it ok to leave it as it is or is there something she should as a substitute for the missing bit of shell ?
Thanks

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hi all, just looking some advice for a friend. She has said that her Russian escaped about a year ago and her dog got hold of it. The shell got broken and there is a bit of shell now missing just above her tail. Apparently it's all healed now but she is just wondering is it ok to leave it as it is or is there something she should as a substitute for the missing bit of shell ?
Thanks
I'd like to see a photo, but id it's all healed up and the tortoise is managing alright, i'd leave it alone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It should be fine. Shell's don't grow back when pieces get broken off, but as long as there's no opening into the body cavity, it will be ok.

Karen H

5 Year Member
I just noticed that my Russian has the same - a piece seems to be missing above his tail. It doesn't seem to bother him.