Mixing?

BearTheTurtle

Location (City and/or State)
USA Oklahoma
AB531F88-2DBB-4405-8D63-F2C25B4409D2.jpegIs it okay if I mix eco earth with a little bit of peat moss for substrate for my three toed box turtle? This is the peat moss I want to use with the zoo med eco earth. Thank you!6680EAB4-3E50-4CB7-8554-535149137527.jpeg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Okay! I will stick to the eco earth! Thanks
Look for the coco coir bricks in the gardening stores or plant nurseries. They can be magnitude cheaper per liter than Eco Earth.

As a downside, they can be harder to rehydrate. But not that much if you hit them with a hammer (for example) to create some cracks in the brick and then rehydrate in hot water.

BearTheTurtle

USA Oklahoma
Look for the coco coir bricks in the gardening stores or plant nurseries. They can be magnitude cheaper per liter than Eco Earth.

As a downside, they can be harder to rehydrate. But not that much if you hit them with a hammer (for example) to create some cracks in the brick and then rehydrate in hot water.
Thanks!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you think it would be fine if I mixed these 2? View attachment 373854View attachment 373855
No. Not safe. Plain coco coir or orchid bark is best.

You can order 10 pound blocks of coco coir online and have it delivered to your door. I get them at my local nurseries too, as Alex suggested. I lay them flat in a large plastic tub, dump 2 or 3 gallons of water on them and let them rehydrate over night.

BearTheTurtle

USA Oklahoma
No. Not safe. Plain coco coir or orchid bark is best.

You can order 10 pound blocks of coco coir online and have it delivered to your door. I get them at my local nurseries too, as Alex suggested. I lay them flat in a large plastic tub, dump 2 or 3 gallons of water on them and let them rehydrate over night.
Do you think one of the 10 gallon bricks would fill my 40 gallon long tank?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you think one of the 10 gallon bricks would fill my 40 gallon long tank?
Oh yes. Half of one would be plenty for a 40. I used to get the 10 pound blocks for $11 at my local nurseries. Now I get it online and the price is up to around $20, but one block goes a long way.

Hand pack it firmly to make it easier for him to walk on it. He will still be able to easily dig in to it if he wants to. Make about an eight inch thick fluffy layer, and then spend a few minutes packing it down firmly and flattening it. You'll end up with two or three inches. Keep it damp by periodically dumping water into it, as needed. Don't let it dry out.