Mold

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
just wondering if anybody has had issues with mold and log hides I noticed last night my log hide for her had some white mold appearing underneath and I soak this in the sink every day to make sure it's humid enough but removed it last night when I noticed the mold I could scrape it with my fingernail so I'm thinking instead of soaking the logs just mist them with the spray bottle and let the air out a little any experience with this or advice for a better solution?

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
just wondering if anybody has had issues with mold and log hides I noticed last night my log hide for her had some white mold appearing underneath and I soak this in the sink every day to make sure it's humid enough but removed it last night when I noticed the mold I could scrape it with my fingernail so I'm thinking instead of soaking the logs just mist them with the spray bottle and let the air out a little any experience with this or advice for a better solution?
I have 2 hides for my leopard. I did start with the log though and doing something very similar to soaking it to make it humid. I now have a plastic hide for his humid hide since it works SO MUCH better and have switched the log to dry only. I have a 4x2 so I had the space for both. I would switch to a plastic one. Tom uses dish tubs upside down with a door cut out and the are lik $2 bucks at Walmart ? then its super easy to clean too and you just make sure the substrate underneath his kept damp

L

LasTortugasNinja

remove the substrate around the hide. soak the hide in vinegar for 20 minutes, dry, and you're fine. I soak my cage deco for 20 min at least once a month. More if the deco came in contact with food or feces.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I have 2 hides for my leopard. I did start with the log though and doing something very similar to soaking it to make it humid. I now have a plastic hide for his humid hide since it works SO MUCH better and have switched the log to dry only. I have a 4x2 so I had the space for both. I would switch to a plastic one. Tom uses dish tubs upside down with a door cut out and the are lik $2 bucks at Walmart ? then its super easy to clean too and you just make sure the substrate underneath his kept damp
what about those plastic guinea pig igloos?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Well I think I understand now cuz if you use dry wood hide it will absorb the humidity so plastic won't absorb like the wood will very smart

L

LasTortugasNinja

If you want the aesthetic of wood but not absorption, several sites sell ceramic hides that look like the traditional log hides. Still, as long as you clean frequently with a vinegar soak, you won't have any issue either way.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
If you want the aesthetic of wood but not absorption, several sites sell ceramic hides that look like the traditional log hides. Still, as long as you clean frequently with a vinegar soak, you won't have any issue either way.
Yea I also found some at petco here, but I didn't want to pay that much lol. They do look nice though for sure.

And yea, my humidity in there stays 100% and its a breeze to keep up and keep clean. I just used a large plastic folders can that I cleaned out really well with the normal means plus vet cleaner

Attachments

• 20200416_112125.jpg
    20200416_112125.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Yea I also found some at petco here, but I didn't want to pay that much lol. They do look nice though for sure.

And yea, my humidity in there stays 100% and its a breeze to keep up and keep clean. I just used a large plastic folders can that I cleaned out really well with the normal means plus vet cleaner
What are those little Plants there? Is it a Vegetable I have some of those as well I just forgot which plant they where.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
What kind of substrate?....basking light to the left? (Type)?....uv fluorescent to the right ? (Type)?...and lastly is that a rhp in the middle?

I used 75% orchid bark and 25% cypress mulch because I ran out lol. Both are ok to use 100% of though.
Basking light with a 45 watt flood light on a rheostat on the left, uv 18inch HO bulb to the front right( the black block), the middle is my 100 watt che on a thermostat, and the bulb in the silver dome is just an LED bulb to add extra light on that side of the enclosure. I'm planning on getting a rhp in the next couple weeks though because either doesn't dry out his carapace like the others can

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Yes! I didn’t think they looked like that when they where young, I also have some but I don’t care for them. They are small and most likely to die. I do however have squash plants growing. I hope it survives
Ghido eats it before it gets too big or dies lol. His grass grows well, which is cat grass and wheat grass and he grazes on that as well. Or stomps on it. All the same to him lol

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
Yea thankfully I haven't ever had a problem with that. He eats it really well. Its the pellets I have trouble with, so I have to mix it all up and hide it
The sulcata I own will not eat grass nor commercial food, in the other hand the Eastern Herman’s I own will eat grass (a bit) and Flukers Tortoise food. I might end up switching completely to just grass w my Sulcata but it might starve to death. Smh