Moral Dilemma on Lost Pet- Please Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightshade

5 Year Member
My family found a juvenile sulcata on Thursday, burrowed into the ground. We took him home and fed and watered him while we tried to find the owners. Upon finding them today, we were shocked to discover that they are keeping him a cardboard box barely big enough for him to turn around in. This box is on the front porch, exposed to the elements, and it is still getting down into 40s at night. There are also bobcats and coyotes in this area that wouldn't hesitate if they found him. The owner seem to find him a nuisance, only saying, "Again?" upon discovering he had escaped. For the last two days, they have not made any effort to find him, and I suspect that was from not checking on or feeding him. Upon the return of a beloved pet, I think they would have been more enthusiastic. We are now torn on what to do. He does have owners, but they are apathetic towards him, and if anything happened to him my whole family would have guilty consciences. On the other hand, they obviously don't want him, so should we approach them on the subject of us keeping him if they don't want to? Should we call the Humane Society and leave at that? We told them we would give him back tomorrow, so any advice is greatly and speedily appreciated. Thank you!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
maybe offer to adopt the tort? if they really don't want him, maybe a little donation to them, would convince them?

At the very least, print out a care sheet to send with him.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I would also go for the talking to them and trying to get them to give you the tort. Bring up the future size and what damage they can do. Sounds like they are pretty much ready to give it up.

Would you offer money to them for it? Or only take it, if it's free?

Lightshade

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:

We'd be willing to offer about $25 to them, which we think is fair, seeing as how they've been treating him.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lightshade said:
Jacqui said:

We'd be willing to offer about $25 to them, which we think is fair, seeing as how they've been treating him.
I agree with you on that, and if they don't give him up then you can call that society you were talking about on them. Because the way they're treating him is horrible and no animal deserves to be treated that way.

derf

5 Year Member
I agree with the majority, offer to adopt him. It sounds like they wouldn't appriciate advice so if they refused you should call the society.

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
does the tort have a healthy shell?

I found my sulcata the owners never did surface for him. I think it's in much better hands now.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Yes I Agree....if they refuse to let you adopt him, I would definitely go to the necessary society and report the bad owners. Shame on them. i truly hope you do get to keep the tort. I am sure a "donation"to them would be interesting to them :D

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
if they ask for an insane amount of money like in the hundreds, then just call the Humane Society, or w/e society you call for that lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I would ask them why are they keeping the tortoise inside a cardboard box. Don't they know that the tortoise needs to exercise and be able to graze? After you've asked them questions and found satisfactory (or unsatisfactory) answers, then tell them that you have a nice yard and would be happy to have the tortoise come live with you. I wouldn't offer any money because then you give them the idea that they can make money off of the tortoise. You might mention that they grow very large, dig BIG caverns and eat an awful lot. And if they aren't interested in allowing you to keep the tortoise then suggest they might contact a tortoise rescue, because the way they are treating the tortoise isn't humane.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't think there's a point in giving those owners any info on caring about a sulcata (with all due respect) because it's obvious that they don't care about him.

M

Maggie Cummings

I know you are correct, but if you read the Sulcata Challenge I am hoping it will scare them enough so they will want to give the tort up to the OP. IT's not a care sheet. Read it, it will make you want to give up Walle...I forget your babys name...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
How big is ithow long have they had it and has it been living in a box with not heat and little food for days, months or years? Maybe they just found it as well and thought it was a 'box' turtle.
I'd want to hear their excuse and reasons.. Let them know you ahve a yard with a heated enclosure that they need and would be more then willing to allow him to stay with you from now on....

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Morally? I'd return it, then as a separate issue offer to adopt or buy it from them. If your state actually goes after poor keepers, I would report it also as a separate issue.

Keeping it when you know who it belongs to is, to me, immoral.

desertsss

5 Year Member
So, I am late on this one. Geez I hope you got to keep it. What happened?!

Status
Not open for further replies.