multiple russians. How much space per russian tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, Ar
I have a 3 ft by 8 ft enclosure with three in it right now. 1 male 2 females. I'd like to have 2 males and 4 or 5 females when all is said and done for a breeding colony.

I am thinking of adding some second levels with ramps and will have a larger outdoor area ( for march to october) done by march. Looking at 6ft by 10ft then.

I realize I may have to separate males ever now and then. So far my trio loves each other.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The simple answer is, "as much as possible". Really. If you built a 3000 square feet enclosure, it would not be too big. I would think in terms of multiple enclosure if I were you. As you add russians, the behavior dynamics will change in novel ways, and you might find yourself needing to separate some.

One breeder here attributes her success to having and entire large backyard for hers to roam around in.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep several in an area 10x12 and I have never had issues with aggression between the males. I keep a lot of "furniture" in the enclosure (large rocks, bushes, trees, logs, dirt mounds ... etc.) and I believe that really helps. I personally wouldn't keep more than 3 or 4 (5 max) in an 8x3 area. Good luck!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Tom is right. If you can go bigger than 6x10, even create an 'L' shaped enclosure, you won't regret it. Push it as big as you can.
Inside, might be wise to plan on two enclosures, just in case. While it might work out to add more to your happy 3, it also might be a disaster. Sometimes, with sight blocks/plants/hides they can manage together outside, but during winter have to be separated.
Oddly, when the enclosure improves, sometimes the aggression increases. Perhaps because the tortoise thrives, and natural instincts come forward. So keep this in mind.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
There was a breeder on here Ryan who had a lot of success with a smaller enclosure but I haven't seen him on here in a while. I'll see if I can dig up that old thread.

In mine I have dropped a cement mixing tub in the floor with dirt in it similar to his. Its made nice place for them to dog and eventually lay eggs in hopefully.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ryan is a friend. He's in NY and he described his methods in an article that was published in "Reptiles" magazine. He uses multiple 4x8' enclosures and it works for him.

Russians are very perplexing. Some people are successful with them while others are not. It seems so hit and miss. Two different people can do the same things and one gets babies while the other doesn't. One person can do everything "right" and have no success, while others do everything "all wrong" and get lots of babies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks for the link! I have seen Ryan's descriptions, but not the article.
Sounds like you have been thinking things out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.