My baby tortoise doesn’t drink water

Oliviatrix

Location (City and/or State)
United kingdom
Hi guys
Im new here n also this is ma first time to raise a tortoise.. I have a baby tortoise she doesn’t know how to drink the water even when I put some water on a dish or something she doesn’t drink it , so I started to put the water on her food but do u thik it’s enough or there’s a something i have to do with that?

C4B0ED41-DEA1-4301-8164-27B99A51FD6D.jpeg

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
I've had problems getting my greek to drink as long as I've had him, which is about 5 years He will not voluntarily drink when out and about, and will not voluntarily soak.

Yours is a baby so I'm not sure if it will come around to regularly drinking. I would hope so, as she becomes more accustomed maybe she will?

This species is semi arid, with arid capabilities meaning it can store water (and by extension urates) for a period of time, in the wild they will cross great dry regions without access to water. However, by no means does this mean they should go without water, ever. They will thrive much more with regular hydration.

Soaks have been key. My tort will sometimes (sort of) gulp water awkwardly in his soak, and will also ingest some while I feed treats (single stalks of clover or a favoured flower). Additionally, they will absorb some water. Soak every day if need be, even a half hour is ok if you keep the water warm, 85ish is good.

You can also spritz any and all offered food with water, and some greens will absorb water if soaked for a a short while as well, eg. lettuce, which lacks nutrition but can help with hydration if needed. Same goes for cucumber in moderation.

Proper humidity will help slow dehydration as well. Have you read any hatchling care sheets?

Anyhow, he/shes a beauty, hope it comes around to drinking soon.

Oliviatrix

United kingdom
I've had problems getting my greek to drink as long as I've had him, which is about 5 years He will not voluntarily drink when out and about, and will not voluntarily soak.

Yours is a baby so I'm not sure if it will come around to regularly drinking. I would hope so, as she becomes more accustomed maybe she will?

This species is semi arid, with arid capabilities meaning it can store water (and by extension urates) for a period of time, in the wild they will cross great dry regions without access to water. However, by no means does this mean they should go without water, ever. They will thrive much more with regular hydration.

Soaks have been key. My tort will sometimes (sort of) gulp water awkwardly in his soak, and will also ingest some while I feed treats (single stalks of clover or a favoured flower). Additionally, they will absorb some water. Soak every day if need be, even a half hour is ok if you keep the water warm, 85ish is good.

You can also spritz any and all offered food with water, and some greens will absorb water if soaked for a a short while as well, eg. lettuce, which lacks nutrition but can help with hydration if needed. Same goes for cucumber in moderation.

Proper humidity will help slow dehydration as well. Have you read any hatchling care sheets?

Anyhow, he/shes a beauty, hope it comes around to drinking soon.
thank u sm u that was so helpful, actually i always give her food with water on , and i make sure that she drink it while she’s eating, btw how often do i have to soak her?? Is it ok to soak her because as u can see that she’s a baby so im afraid that could be dangerous for her healthy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is why you need to soak the baby in warm water every day.

You also need to get the baby off of those pine shavings ASAP.

Care for greeks is the same as Russians. Read these and then come back with all your questions.