My boettgeri is bleeding from the nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSnidr

10 Year Member!
Hello!
My beloved tortoise Speedy started bleeding from his nose today!
It's not much, but it comes out when he sneezes or swallows.
I've taken him to a vet, but as tortoises are rather rare animals in Norway, they don't know what to do about it, or how to find out what's wrong.

He is acting as usual though, he is still active and eats like normal.
But I worried nonetheless.
Are there any reasons for a tortoise suddenly to start bleeding from the nose?
He is 13 years old, I've had him for 12 and a half, but I've never seen it before.

As I'm leaving now, I won't see your answers until tomorrow evening. Hopefully the bleeding has stopped by then.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Since the nares doesn't go down into the throat as in mammals, but ends up in the roof of the mouth, maybe try to see inside the mouth for an injury?? Could be maybe a sharp piece of something (hay, stick) jabbed him in the nose?

You can go to the pharmacy and buy a bottle of sterile saline solution. They sell this to be used by folks with contact lenses. Usually you can find it in a small squeeze bottle. Squeeze a couple spritzes into each nostril to help clean them out.

Let us know what you find out.

TheSnidr

10 Year Member!
It stopped bleeding not long after my post, and I haven't seen any traces of blood after that.
I've examined his mouth, but it's pink and woundless.
It doesn't seem like he's as worried as me, he's still running around and eating without a care in the world.

Thanks for your answer!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Could there be an injury to the nose itself? I've had one bite another in the face - when stealing food - that caused a nose bleed.

Status
Not open for further replies.