My first tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

momail00

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
First off, I am new to the whole tortoise world and website. My girlfriend owns two African Spur Sulcatas and I have pretty much adopted them since we moved in together a few months ago :) Below is a picture of the enclosure I just finished building a week or two ago and I will list what you are seeing in the picture...

--The tortoises are roughly 9-10 months old
--The enclosure is 4'1 x 4'1 made from 2x4's and plywood
--The two black light domes in the center are mercury vapor bulbs w/ UVA/UVB, left is a basking bulb and the lights turn on automatically from 7:30am - 7:30pm
--The silver dome at the top center of the pic is a 250w red heat lamp that comes on at night from 7:30pm - 7:30am
--The substrate is play sand from homedepot
--The two corners of the enclosure contain a clay pot that they normally sleep behind or up against
--The sidewalk stone in the center is under the basking lamp to offer extended warmth once the lights turn off

This is where my boys (Rocky & Mr-T) are living and I would appreciate any advice as we are both relatively new to these guys and we want to make sure they are as happy and healthy as possible...Thanks in advance

Attachments

• TortHouse.jpg
    TortHouse.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 137

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Darn it anyway...I just hate it when a new member shows us a GREAT habitat and then I see something in it that's not right. The habitat you built is wonderful. I love that you're hanging the lights instead of clamping them. They have lots of room to roam around, but...I'm sorry, why does there always have to be a but?

Sand is not good for substrate. They walk through it then walk through their food, and if they aren't really hydrated, the accidentally eaten sand will cause them to become impacted.

Anyway...

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you, and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
It's looks good but there's one MAJOR issue. My best suggestion would be to get rid of the sand and replace it with something like coconut fiber or cypress mulch. The sand irritates these tortoises to no end. Even more importantly, the sand creates a dry environment. You'll need a moist, warm, humid environment if you want to raise healthy torts. You can't really do that with sand. Sand is a contributing factor that will most likely lead to pyramiding. Other than that though you have the right idea!

momail00

5 Year Member
Syracuse, New York
Here is a picture of Mr-T and Rocky. Mr-T has the red mark on his shell and Rocky has the blue mark

Attachments

• Mr-T.jpg
    Mr-T.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Rocky.jpg
    Rocky.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 49
  • Rocky_and_Mr-T.jpg
    Rocky_and_Mr-T.jpg
    475.3 KB · Views: 66

momail00

5 Year Member
Syracuse, New York
@Emysemys: Thank you very much for the positive feedback regarding the enclosure and the advice about the substrate. I am looking for alternative solutions right now so I can get this deficiency fixed. Also, I am in New York and you can call me Steven.

@Arizona Sulcata: Thank you very much for the advice. I have looked around this site about you suggestion and I'm wondering if you have a preference between the two options you gave me?

As a side note, the total cost to build the enclosure was roughly $50-$60 and was pretty simple in case anyone wants to try

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome, looks great. I Would recommend changing the substrate.

momail00

5 Year Member
Syracuse, New York
I'm doing research for new substrate and here is what I found. I'm sure the Zoo Med product is better, however; will the cypress mulch from the "Lowe's" link work the same as the Zoo Med cypress mulch or are the two different? They look quite similar to me but I'm still new to this...

Lowe's Cypress Mulch
http://www.lowes.com/pd_97677-1802-...entURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=cypress+mulch&facetInfo=

Zoo Med Cypress Mulch
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010OVM7A/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Zoo Med Coconut Fiber
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00167VVP4/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

The reason why I checked Lowe's for this substrate is because I would like to fix this immediately (like now :) ) if it turns out the lowes cypress mulch is the same as zoo med cypress mulch. Thanks again everyone, Myself and my adopted tortoises appreciate all the advice given :)

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
I use the mulch from lowes. Haven't had any problems with it. I mix it with sphagnum peat moss. Also from lowes. Holds moisture well and my torts can dig in it.

momail00

5 Year Member
Syracuse, New York
@hlester22: Do you layer the mulch and peat moss or are they both just mixed together in your enclosure? Do you know the size of your enclosure and roughly how many bags of each it took? Mine enclosure is 4'1w x 4'1l x 12"h so I'm trying to get an idea of how much to buy

hlester22

5 Year Member
Kentucky
I mix them together. Then I pour on enough hot water to get it all damp but not dripping wet. You'll have to use your hands to mix it all up. It will make it really humid in your enclosure. Then just the daily misting with a squirt bottle. It will look dry on top but be damp underneath, for a long time. I have to dump water and mix it up about once a month.

I use a 50 gal tote. Used one bag of Cypress and about half of moss. That gave me about 6 inches deep.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
momail00 said:
@Emysemys: Thank you very much for the positive feedback regarding the enclosure and the advice about the substrate. I am looking for alternative solutions right now so I can get this deficiency fixed. Also, I am in New York and you can call me Steven.

@Arizona Sulcata: Thank you very much for the advice. I have looked around this site about you suggestion and I'm wondering if you have a preference between the two options you gave me?

As a side note, the total cost to build the enclosure was roughly $50-$60 and was pretty simple in case anyone wants to try

I use the coconut fiber, holds in moister and doesn't mold. I've never used the cypress mulch but I've heard good things about it as well.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Heather's advice is great.
You can mix several substrates together; coir and cypress mulch and sphagnum moss all work well. Cypress mulch is more available in the East, our Lowe's does not even carry it!
The main goal is to create a moister environment. They will be healthier.

Other than the substrate, very nice job! Your GF's torts are lucky.

momail00

5 Year Member
Syracuse, New York
So I just finished removing all 180lbs of sand from their enclosure and adding cypress mulch w/ spaghnum peat moss...The one question I have is if the top portion of the enclosure is sufficient for a humid house? I made a swinging roof and added the front walls with the opening.

Attachments

• NewTortHouse.jpg
    NewTortHouse.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 41
Status
Not open for further replies.