My new Herman!

MGregzz

Hi everyone!
My names Molly and I'm 14! I'm from the UK! For Christmas this year I asked for a Herman tortoise and I got it on Saturday! We think it's a boy, but haven't come up with a name yet! I want something that begins with T like Tody or Todd so if anyone has any suggestions I'll gladly hear them!
My tortoise is 2 and has quite a lite coloured shell. He's round about 8cm long and is quite lively! I hope to keep you up to date with him!!
Molly! XxxImageUploadedByTortForum1387805518.906389.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387805534.144137.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387805555.575050.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387805580.628395.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
Welcome! I too am getting a hermann's tortoise for christmas, but haven't gotten it yet. I have no name suggestions, sorry about that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Molly:

Welcome to the Forum!

How about Thurman the Herman?

I like your habitat. Now you need to decorate it a bit. Get some plants - fake will do - and set them up around inside to give it a more "lived in" feel. Does Therman have a hiding place in there? Baby tortoises are prey and they feel more at home if they can hide and move from hiding place to hiding place in their search for food. Be sure to set him up in some shallow water at least once a day so he doesn't dry out. The lights and heat dry them out inside quite quickly.

What kind of light do you have for Therman?

MGregzz

Thanks guys! Yeah I need to get something for the other side, under the heat lamp for him! At the moment I'm using a yellow reflector lamp. ImageUploadedByTortForum1387814002.533864.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387814041.033108.jpg
I do have this plastic plant pot that he sleeps under but he has been going into the corner behind it and sleeping there!?ImageUploadedByTortForum1387814166.919053.jpg
He also hasn't eaten a lot of food since I got him?? I've been giving him carrot, parsley and cabbage! Is that okay??
Molly!xxx

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Beautiful tortoise. I would put some moist sphagnum peat moss under those wood chips because they like to dig down and it will help prevent dry shells and pyramiding.
I wouldn't do much cabbage and would also do spring mix with any natural edible weeds that you can harvest.

tortoisetable.org
Hermannihaven.com
Gardenstatetortoise.com
For more help on Hermanns check out those sites

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the UK you can buy bagged salads by Florette:

http://www.florette.org.uk/salad/bagged-salad.php

But the main part of the diet should be weeds from the garden. Just take care to pick weeds that haven't been sprayed with pesticides or herbicides.

If he's not eating then he's probably not warm enough (that and the fact that you're not offering him foods he recognizes as food). Get a better light. They're quite expensive, but your tortoise might die without the proper UVB to help his calcium work. If you don't like or can't afford the Mercury Vapor Bulb, then get a tube-type fluorescent bulb and reflector, but in the meantime, move your yellow light down lower so he can get warm.

MGregzz

Thanks everyone! Were gonna try and sort something out for him! We've given him another hiding place and put in some cuttlefish bone for him to nibble on! ImageUploadedByTortForum1387824977.779604.jpg we would move the lights down but there all fixed in the same place! If we put some soil stuff in under the wood chippings it will love him higher up towards the lights anyways, but we'll see what we can do! Thanks!
Molly!xxx

MGregzz

Hi everyone!
Happy New Year! Sorry it's been a long time guys! My little Herman is doing so much better! He's eating a lot more and weights 50g! He really like Pak Choi!? It's the only thing he eats atm! But I've just had top up his food because he ate it all already! ImageUploadedByTortForum1388672745.113374.jpg
I've had a friend look after him sence Tuesday when I went away to my aunties but they said he was fine! There little girl said she loves the way he opens his mouth so wide when he eats!ImageUploadedByTortForum1388672929.296771.jpg he's up for exploring today!?
Molly!xxx

TobytheTortoise

5 Year Member
You kinda have to wait until they're 4 or 5 years old to find out if they're a boy or girl

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi Molly. Cute Hermann's! Great Christmas gift. As for name suggestions, I'm really not that good at it. But since your tort is so young, I'd recommend something neutral. As others have said, it'll be a while before you'll know the sex for sure. Good luck!

May[SUNFLOWER]
3 Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
2 THBs: Darwin & Wallace

Tortynewbie

Molly, I'm also in the UK and I'd recommend you also look at The Tortoise Trust website and forum, and The Tortoise Table site for the correct foods to give your baby. He'd be better off on a topsoil or topsoil and playsand substrate; and did you get your correct lighting sorted out? Vivs aren't recommended either...not being negative I'm a beginner just like you but I've done a lot of reading recently. I don't want my young Hermanns to end up with MBD or pyramiding. TT have loads of great books as well....I've found their forum to be very helpful. Hope this helps you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Molly:

I think your heat light is up too high.